Jean-Yves Thériault (kickboxer)
January 15, 1955
Paquetville, New Brunswick, Canada
|Other names||The Iceman|
|Fighting out of||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Rank||Black prajied and full instructor in Muay Thai|
Black belt in Kickboxing
Black belt in Ju-Jitsu
Jean-Yves Thériault was born on January 15, 1955 in Paquetville, New Brunswick, Canada. He was the fifth of six sons.
Thériault began his martial arts training in 1972 at age 17, achieving blue belt status in Jujutsu before becoming interested in Karate and Full Contact Karate few years later. He won his first Full Contact Karate competition in 1976 after only six months of training under the direction of John Therien (who now holds Hanshi degree in Ju-Jitsu), and subsequently became Canadian middleweight kickboxing champion two and a half years later. In 1980 he won the PKA Middleweight World title (Full-contact karate), and held the championship for a record of 15 years. He has also won world titles in both the ISKA and PKC associations. During the peak of his career, Thériault held only a Yellow belt in Karate.
He was referred to as "The Iceman," a nickname given to him by Rodney Batiste during his first title defence, due to his intimidating icy stare and cool demeanour in the ring. Thériault has a number of high-profile victories, including two wins against future four-time K-1 champion Ernesto Hoost and a draw against the legendary Don "The Dragon" Wilson. He has also fought world champions such as Rob Kaman, Tosca Petridis and Rick Roufus.
Thériault has worked with many groups and charities, such as the Big Brothers, Children's Wish Foundation, Leucan. He is author of a book on kickboxing techniques and has a series of videos on the science of combat sports. He is the subject of an hour and a half film produced by the National Film Board. He was voted Athlete of the Decade by the Sports Writers Association of New Brunswick. However, the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame still will not induct him into their ranks after several attempts by fans and friends.
Since his retirement on December 1, 1995, (a third-round knockout of Marcus Reid) Thériault still trains five days a week and teaches classes at Therien Ju-Jitsu & Kickboxing Schools.
Thériault has also become a world-class promoter for the sport of kickboxing. With the aid of his friend Hanshi John Therien, he is giving young fighters an opportunity in the "Iceman Amateur Kickboxing Circuit".
Thériault obtained his Black Belt in Ju-Jitsu in early 2008.
- 1995 I.S.K.A. Full Contact Light Heavyweight World Champion
- 1992 I.S.K.A. Full Contact Super Middleweight World Champion
- 1988 I.S.K.A. Full Contact Light Heavyweight World Champion
- I.S.K.A. Full Contact Super Middleweight World Champion
- P.K.C. Super Middleweight Full Contact World Champion
- 1980-1995 P.K.A. Full Contact Middleweight World Champion
- 1978 Canadian Full Contact Middleweight Kickboxing Champion
Thériault fought 76 fights from June 1976 to December 1995. Of those fights, 69 were wins (61 knockouts), 6 were losses, and 1 was a draw. The one draw was with Don "The Dragon" Wilson on December 18, 1984. Thériault was full-contact World Champion 23 times.
69 wins (61 (T)KOs, 8 Decisions), 6 Losses, 1 Draw
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
Jean-Yves Thériault with coauthor Joseph Jennings wrote a 214-page book called Full-contact Karate, published by Contemporary Books in 1983.
- Kelly, Perry (2006). Iceman: Kickboxing Legend Jean-Yves Thériault. Skelval Publishing. ISBN 0-9780223-1-9.
- Thériault interview, question 2
- Kelly 2006
- Thériault interview, answer 22
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-11-12. Retrieved 2012-11-07.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Article at jiu-aarcn.ca
- Jean-Yves Thériault's Career
- Article on Don "The Dragon" Wilson
- Therien interview, question 7
- Kelly, Perry William (2006). Iceman: Kickboxing Legend Jean-Yves Thériault. Skelval Pub. ISBN 0-9780223-4-3.
- Thériault, Jean-Yves. "An Interview With 'The Iceman' Jean-Yves Thériault". Fight Times Magazine (Interview). Interviewed by Nick Hewitson. Retrieved 2007-03-30.
- Thérien, John (August 2005). "A talk with Kyoshi John Thérien". Your Martial Arts Resources (Interview). Interviewed by Torbjorn Arntsen. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- Kelly, Perry William (May 2006). "A talk with Perry William Kelly". Your Martial Arts Resources (Interview). Interviewed by Torbjorn Arntsen. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "Jean-Yves Thériault's Career". icemankickboxing.com. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "Don "The Dragon" Wilson". ikfkickboxing.com. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "About Jean-Yves Thériault". Therien Jiu-Jitsu & Kickboxing. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "Association acadienne de la région de la capitale nationale - La vie acadienne" (in French). jiu-aarcn.ca. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "Jean-Yves Thériault, l'homme de glace (documentary)" (in French). Retrieved 2017-06-05.