|Birth name||Jean-Yves Thériault|
|Also known as||Blacky|
December 15, 1962 |
|Genres||Heavy metal, progressive metal, thrash metal, speed metal|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, Producer|
|Labels||Century Media, Metal Blade, Noise, MCA, X-voto Records|
|Associated acts||Landscape of Emergency, Voivod, Xvoto, The Holy Body Tattoo Dance Society|
Jean-Yves Thériault (Blacky) is the former bassist for Canadian thrash/progressive metal band Voivod. He co-founded the band and appeared on the first six albums – War and Pain, Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, and Angel Rat. He departed the group in 1991 for personal reasons, and went on to co-found The Holy Body Tattoo Dance Society from 1992 to 1999. He composed, produced and engineered the scores for "White Riot", "L'Orage", "Poetry & Apocalypse", and "Our Brief Eternity".
In 1997 he released The Electronic Voice Phenomena CD with Mark Spybey and established the X-voto Recording label.
Thériault made a guest appearance in Brain Scan, a Voivod cover on the latest Martyr album Feeding the Abscess and performed it live at the release concert at the Montreal Medley in 2006. Thériault co-produced the Negativa self-titled three-song EP with Pierre Rémillard at Wild Studio in St-Zenon, Quebec.
Thériault returned to Voivod in 2008. Thériault released a statement on August 26, 2008, regarding his involvement with the band.
Thériault continues to create electroacoustic music. His collaboration "Hiatus", created with Australian artist Matt Warren, was presented in conjunction with the photographic work of artists Lena Stuart and Sally Rees at the Richmond, Virginia, InLight Festival on September 5, 2008 .
Thériault composed, produced, recorded and edited the Voivod's 2013 album Target Earth. On July 10, 2014, it was announced that he was forced out of the band, for months he requested meetings regarding the band business and artistic affairs, but was denied such talks by the other members.
Thériault is currently working with Monica Emond on a new artistic project call “ Landscape of Emergency”. He finally feels that now the music that he is writing is meaning something more than just writing Metal riff and it is 100% DIY. They have just released Castle Bravo song/video, you can view it at their website Landscape of Emergency Website or in YouTube.
- Liberatore guitar 1989, 5 strings E-A-D-G-B, dbl J-EMG :: self-custom design
- Liberatore guitar 1987, 4 strings, dbl P-EMG :: self-custom design
- Liberatore guitar 1986, 4 strings Kahler tremolo, dbl P-Dimarzio :: self-custom design
- Fender Precision Bass 1972, 4 strings original (no mod)
2008 to present
Online Free Release:
- War & Pain 1984 (Metal Blade Records)
- Rrröööaaarrr 1986 (Noise Records)
- Killing Technology 1987 (Noise Records)
- Dimension Hatröss 1988 (Noise Records)
- Nothingface 1989 (Mechanic / MCA Records)
- Angel Rat 1991 (Mechanic / MCA Records)
- Target Earth 2013 (Century Media Records)
Jean-Yves Thériault albums:
Online Free Release:
- "VOIVOD Parts Ways With Bassist JEAN-YVES 'BLACKY' THERIAULT". Blabbermouth.net. 10 July 2014.