Jean (male given name)
|Word/name||Hebrew, via French|
|Meaning||"The Lord is Gracious"|
|Related names||John, Evan, Giovanni, Hans, Juan, Hovhannes, Ian, Ioan, Ioane, Ivan, Iven, Ifan, Jack, Jackson, Jan, Jane, Janez, Jhon, Joan, João, Johan/Johann, Johanan, Johannes, Jonne, Jovan, Juhani, Seán, Shane, Siôn, Yahya, Yohannes|
On the European continent and in all French-speaking countries, Jean, pronounced [ʒɑ̃], is a male name derived from the Old French Jehan. The female equivalent is Jeanne, pronounced [ʒan], and derives from the Old French Jehanne. Both names derive from the Latin name Johannes, itself from the Koine Greek name Ιωαννης Ioannes, the name used for various New Testament characters, most notably John the Baptist. The Greek name ultimately derive from the Biblical Hebrew name Yochanan, meaning "YHWH/The Lord is Gracious".
People known only as Jean:
- Jean Reno (born 1948), actor
- Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (born 1921), ruled Luxembourg, 1964-2000
- Prince Jean of Luxembourg (born 1957)
- DJ Jean (born Jan Engelaar), a Dutch disc jockey
- Jean (footballer)
Jean in fiction:
- Jean Havoc, supporting character in "Fullmetal Alchemist"
- Jean Kujo, A French karate expert from Virtua Fighter Series
- Jean Valjean, protagonist of the Victor Hugo novel Les Misérables
- Jean Roqua, trainer of Jake Tyler in the movie Never Back Down
- Jean Kirschtein, supporting character in "Attack on Titan"
- Jean Pierre Polnareff, one of the protagonists in part 3 of "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure"
Songs about Jean:
- Jean (female given name)
- Jean-Christophe (given name)
- Jean-Claude (given name)
- Jean-Paul (disambiguation)
- Jean-Philippe (given name)
- Jean-Pierre (given name)
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|