|Died||22 December 2018 (aged 64)|
|Alma mater||Vrije Universiteit Brussel|
|Known for||Analytic number theory|
Partial differential equations
|Awards||Salem Prize (1983)|
Ostrowski Prize (1991)
Fields Medal (1994)
Shaw Prize (2010)
Crafoord Prize (2012)
Breakthrough Prize in Mathematics (2017)
Steele Prize (2018)
|Institutions||Institute for Advanced Study|
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
University of California, Berkeley
|Doctoral advisor||Freddy Delbaen|
|Doctoral students||James Colliander|
Jean, Baron Bourgain (French: [buʁɡɛ̃]; 28 February 1954 – 22 December 2018) was a Belgian mathematician. He was a faculty member at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and, from 1985 until 1995, professor at Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques at Bures-sur-Yvette in France, and since 1994 at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey until 2018. He was an editor for the Annals of Mathematics. From 2012–2014, he was appointed a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley.
Bourgain received his Ph.D. from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 1977.
His work is in various areas of mathematical analysis such as the geometry of Banach spaces, harmonic analysis, analytic number theory, combinatorics, ergodic theory, partial differential equations, spectral theory and recently also in group theory. He has been recognised by a number of awards, most notably the Fields Medal in 1994.
- "Death of mathematician Jean Bourgain". The Brussels Times. 30 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- Biography: Jean Bourgain Archived 27 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine, University of St Andrews, Scotland
- "Jean Bourgain | Department of Mathematics at University of California Berkeley". math.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Bourgain, J. (2000). "Harmonic analysis and combinatorics: How much may they contribute to each other?". Mathematics: Frontiers and Perspectives. IMU/Amer. Math. Soc. pp. 13–32.
- Tao, Terence (March 2001). "From Rotating Needles to Stability of Waves: Emerging Connections between Combinatorics, Analysis and PDE" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 48 (3): 297–303.
- Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences: Many new members elected to the Academy[permanent dead link], press release on 12 February 2009
- Shaw Prize Press Release
- Crafoord Press Release on 19 January 2012
- Jean Bourgain’s Coat of Arms —Institute for Advanced Study
- Breakthrough Prize Press Release
- Jean Bourgain to Receive 2018 Steele Prize for Lifetime Achievement
- MathSciNet: "Items authored by Bourgain, Jean."[permanent dead link]
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Jean Bourgain", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews..