Jean Delannoy, 2000s.
12 January 1908|
Noisy-le-Sec, Île-de-France, France
|Died||18 June 2008
Guainville, Eure-et-Loir, France
|Occupation||Actor, film editor, screenwriter, film director|
Jean Delannoy (12 January 1908 – 18 June 2008) was a French actor, film editor, screenwriter and film director.
Although Delannoy was born in a Paris suburb, his family is from Haute-Normandie in the north of France. He was a Protestant, a descendant of Huguenots, some of whom fled the country during the French Wars of Religion first to settle in Wallonia then, after their name became De la Noye and then Delano, were on the second ship to emigrate to Plymouth, Massachusetts.
He was a student in Paris when he began acting in silent films. He eventually landed a job with Paramount Studios Parisian facilities, working his way up to head film editor. In 1934 he directed his first film and went on to a long career, both writing and directing. In 1946, his film about a Protestant minister titled La symphonie pastorale was awarded the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. In 1960, his film, Maigret tend un piège was nominated for a BAFTA award for "Best Film from any Source". In recognition of his long service to the French motion picture industry, in 1986 Delannoy received an Honorary César Award.
Delannoy died on 18 June 2008, at the age of 100.
|Wikinews has related news: French director Jean Delannoy dies at age 100|
- Paris-Deauville (1934)
- Club de femmes (1936) (assistant director)
- La Vénus de l'or (1937)
- Macao, l'enfer du jeu (1939/1942)
- L'Éternel retour (1943)
- La Part de l'ombre (1945)
- La symphonie pastorale (1946)
- Les jeux sont faits (1947)
- Aux yeux du souvenir (1948)
- Le Secret de Mayerling (1949)
- Dieu a besoin des hommes (1950)
- La Minute de vérité (1952)
- Napoleon Road (1953)
- Destinées (1954)
- Obsession (1954)
- Marie-Antoinette reine de France (1956)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (French title: Notre Dame de Paris) (1957)
- Maigret tend un piège (1958)
- Venere Imperiale (1963)
- Les amitiés particulières (1964)
- Le Lit a Deux Places (1965)
- Le Majordome (1965)
- Le Lit à deux places (1966)
- Les Sultans (1966)
- Le Soleil des Voyous (1967)
- La Peau de torpedo (1970)
- Pas folle la guêpe (1972)
- Bernadette (1988)
- La Passion de Bernadette (1989)
- Marie De Nazareth (1995)