Guerrero at the 2018 Texas Book Festival
|Born||March 31, 1988|
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Investigative journalist, author|
Jean Carolyn Guerrero (born March 31, 1988) is an investigative journalist, author and former foreign correspondent. She is the author of Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir (2018, One World: Random House), winner of the PEN/FUSION Emerging Writers Prize. Guerrero's KPBS series America’s Wall won an Emmy Award. Her essay "My Father Says He's a 'Targeted Individual.' Maybe We All Are" was selected for The Best American Essays anthology of 2019.
From 2010 to 2013 Guerrero was a Mexico City bureau correspondent for The Wall Street Journal and Dow Jones Newswires, reporting on Mexico and Central America. Since 2015 she has been an investigative reporter for KPBS in San Diego. Guerrero is a regular contributor to NPR, PBS NewsHour and PRI's The World, with appearances on MSNBC and CBC among others. Her writing has appeared in The New York Times, Columbia Journalism Review, Wired magazine and other outlets.
Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir
Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir was published in 2018 by One World: Random House. Reviewed as "a gracefully written and nuanced memoir" in The Washington Post, the book is an exploration of borders, Guerrero's father, and Guerrero's own sense of self. The book is divided into seven segments corresponding to parts of the K'iche' Maya creation story in the Popul Vuh.
- PEN/FUSION Emerging Writers Prize for Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir
- Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Pacific Southwest Chapter for the series America's Wall
- San Diego Press Club Excellence In Journalism Award for Investigative Reporting: Investors in Donald Trump's Failed Mexico Resort Speak Out
- San Diego Society of Professional Journalists 2019 Journalist of the Year
- Wilkens, John. "Young writer chases her father's past in cross-border memoir". sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2018-08-24.
- "Will Trump's wall ever be built?". PBS NewsHour. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Why Tijuana's 'Tunnel People' Take The Risk". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Combs, Seth (2017-11-15). "Best of San Diego 2017: People | Jean Guerrero". San Diego CityBeat. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Jean Guerrero's "Crux" Puts a Reporter's Lens on Family, Memory, and Culture". Bitch Media. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Cavanaugh, Marissa Cabrera, Maureen. "KPBS Journalist Jean Guerrero Traces Family History In New Memoir 'Crux'". KPBS Public Media. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "San Diego reporter Jean Guerrero takes $10,000 PEN/FUSION Prize for "Crux" - PEN America". PEN America. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Castañeda, Jean Guerrero, Leo. "America's Wall". KPBS Public Media. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "The Best American Essays 2019 | HMH Books". www.hmhbooks.com. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- "Jean Guerrero". Public Radio International. Retrieved 2020-03-29.
- "Jean Guerrero | Staff | KPBS". www.kpbs.org. Retrieved 2020-03-29.
- "Shutdown of U.S.-Mexico border leaves migrants in limbo and in danger". PBS NewsHour. 2020-03-26. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- "Refugee kids in California say discrimination at school is getting worse". Public Radio International. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- "Are asylum seeking families being separated when they cross the border legally?". MSNBC.com. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- "What happened in Orlando Tuesday night - inside and outside the launch of Trump 2020". CBC.ca. June 6, 2019.
- "The Border Realities Beneath the Fury". The New York Times. April 22, 2019.
- "California: Latino voter apathy reflects disconnected media". Columbia Journalism Review. November 1, 2018.
- "My Father Says He's a 'Targeted Individual.' Maybe We All Are". Wired. October 25, 2018.
- "Jean Guerrero - Penguin Random House Speakers Bureau". www.prhspeakers.com. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "One World authors".
- "Crux by Jean Guerrero: 9780399592393 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books". PenguinRandomhouse.com. Retrieved 2020-03-29.
- "Review: "A Mexican American daughter's search for her father's sanity"". The Washington Post via web.archive.org. August 24, 2018.
- Guerrero, Jean (2018-07-17). Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir. Random House Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-399-59240-9.
- "Jean Guerrero M.F.A. '15 Takes Home an Emmy". Goucher College. Retrieved 2020-03-29.
- "SAN DIEGO PRESS CLUB 44th ANNUAL EXCELLENCE IN JOURNALISM AWARDS" (PDF). San Diego Press Club.
- sdspjeditor (2019-06-24). "Jean Guerrero, our 2019 Journalist of the Year". San Diego Society of Professional Journalists. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- "Home | Mrbbaby Art". Mrbbaby. Retrieved 2020-03-29.