February 16, 1926|
Preston, Maryland, U.S.
|Died||January 22, 2002
La Quinta, California, U.S.
|Eye color||Dark green/brown|
Jean Patchett (February 16, 1926 – January 22, 2002) was a leading fashion model of the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s. She was among the best known models of that era, which included Dovima, Dorian Leigh, Suzy Parker, Evelyn Tripp and Lisa Fonssagrives. Patchett was the subject of two of Vogue Magazine's most famous covers, both shot in 1950 by Erwin Blumenfeld and Irving Penn. She was famous for being one of the first high-fashion models to appear remote; previously, models had appeared warm and friendly. Irving Penn described her as “a young American goddess in Paris couture”.
Patchett was born on February 16, 1926 in Preston, Maryland. She came to New York in 1948, and signed with the Ford Model Agency on April 10, 1948. Her career took off almost immediately. She debuted with Vogue in September 1948 at the age of 22.
In October 1949, Patchett was photographed by Penn along with Bridget Bate Tichenor for the famous photograph The Tarot Reader. A print of this photograph is in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Patchett was the subject of two of Vogue Magazine's most famous covers, January 1950 by Erwin Blumenfeld and April 1950 by Irving Penn. Cathy Horyn wrote that the January 1950 cover "became shorthand for an entire decade". During her career, she appeared on over 40 magazine covers. Patchett's face was used in the 1957 Fred Astaire-Audrey Hepburn-Kay Thompson film, Funny Face, which spoofed the fashion industry.
Jean Patchett Auer died in 2002 at age 75 from undisclosed causes.
- "Jean Patchett profile at". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- Horyn, Cathy (February 4, 2002). "Jean Patchett, 75, a Model Who Helped Define the 50's". The New York Times. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Jean Patchett". Vogue. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Jean was "a young American Goddess of Paris Couture"". Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Jean Patchett profile at oguepedia". Vogue.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- The Tarot Reader (Jean Patchett and Bridget Tichenor) - New York 1949 by Irving Penn SAAM
- "Voguepedia: Jean Patchett profile".
|This biography article about a United States model is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|