Jeannette Kawas National Park
|Jeannette Kawas National Park|
|Area||781.62 km2 (301.79 sq mi)|
|Established||4 November 1994[better source needed]|
|Official name||Parque Nacional Jeannette Kawas|
|Designated||28 March 1995|
Jeannette Kawas National Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Jeannette Kawas) is a national park located in the municipality of Tela, on the northern Caribbean coast of the Atlántida department of Honduras, established on 4 November 1994. The park covers an area of 781.62 square kilometres and has an altitude of 900 metres. The park was created and is managed by the PROLANSATE foundation (protection of Lancetilla, Punta Sal and Texiguat).
The park was established on 4 November 1994, originally named Punta Sal National Park. It was created and is managed by the PROLANSATE foundation (protection of Lancetilla, Punta Sal and Texiguat).
Its name was changed to Jeannette Kawas National Park in honor of Jeannette Kawas, an environmental activist and PROLANSATE president who was murdered on February 6, 1995 for her work trying to keep the palm plantations out of the park.
The park is located in the municipality of Tela, on the northern Caribbean coast of the Atlántida department of Honduras. Located at 15º51'N 087º40'W between longitudes 87º29' and 87º52' west and latitudes 15º42' and 16º00'. It covers an area of 781.62 square kilometres and has an altitude of 900 metres.
The park is made up of varied marine, terrestrial and wetlands ecosystems with a large number of species. These ecosystems include beaches, tropical forests, inundated forests, mangrove forests, lagoons and rivers.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Keel-billed motmot
- Turquoise-browed motmot
- Green-breasted mountain-gem
- Lovely cotinga
- Resplendent quetzal
- Bushy-crested jay
- Blue-crowned chlorophonia
- Lesser ground-cuckoo
- American crocodile
- Sea turtle, such as green sea turtle, leatherback sea turtle, hawksbill turtle and the loggerhead turtle
- Green iguana
- Red-tailed boa
- Mexican burrowing snake
- Acalypha skutchii
- Cappatis truerchkhemii
- Columnea tuerckheimii
- Cordia truncatifolia
- Ormosia macrocalyx
- Phyllanthus elsiae
- Rinorea hummelii
- Salacia impressifolia
- Sida antillensis
- Sida troyana
- La Tigra National park, Honduras first national park
- PARQUE NACIONAL PUNTA SAL Ramsar Information Sheet (pdf), Ramsar Sites Information Service (RSIS), 7 September 2011, 25 pages (in Spanish)
- Birds of Honduras.com Robert Gallardo, n.d.
- profile of Jeanette Kawas National Park Carla Picinich, Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, n.d., retrieved 9 March 2016
- Interactive Map of Park INFOHN.COM (Info de Honduras S.A.) 2006
- Fundacion PROLANSATE web site (in Spanish) n.d.