This article needs to be updated.(August 2015)
|Born||July 9, 1971|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
Jeanette Lee (born Lee Jin-Hee, Hangul: 이진희, July 9, 1971 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American professional pool player. She was nicknamed the Black Widow by her friends because, in spite of her sweet demeanor, she would "eat people alive" when she got to a pool table. Jeanette is an American of Korean descent.
Lee started playing pool in 1989. She went on to rank as the No. 1 female pool player in the world during the 1990s, and received the Women's Professional Billiard Association (WPBA) Sportsperson of the Year Award in 1998. She was three times runner-up at the World Nine-ball Championships (women's), from 1993–96. In addition to many top finishes on the WPBA Tour, she won the gold medal for the United States at the 2001 World Games in Akita, Japan, and won the ladies' US$25,000 winner-take-all Tournament of Champions twice, in 1999 and 2003. Lee also wrote The Black Widow's Guide to Killer Pool.
For 2007, she was ranked #4 in Pool & Billiard Magazine's "Fans' Top 20 Favorite Players" poll.
Titles and achievements
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2008)
- 2007 International Skins Billiard Championship
- 2007 Skins Billiards Champion
- 2007 World Team Cup Champion
- 2007 Empress Cup Champion
- 2005 China Invitational Champion
- 2004 BCA Open Champion
- 2004 Atlanta Women's Open
- 2004 ESPN Ultimate Challenge
- 2004 International Trick Shot Champion
- 2004 Women’s Trick Shot World Champion
- 2004 WPBA Florida Classic Hard Rock Casino Champion
- 2003 Tournament of Champions Champion
- 2001 Gold Medalist for the United States in the World Games
- 1999 ESPN Ultimate Shootout
- 1999 ESPN Ladies' Tournament of Champions
- 1998 WPBA Penn Ray Classic
- 1998 WPBA Cuetec Cues Hawaii Classic
- 1997 WPBA Huebler Classic
- 1997 WPBA Olhausen Classic
- 1996 WPBA BCA Classic
- 1995 WPBA Olhausen Classic
- 1995 WPBA Brunswick Classic
- 1994 WPBA U.S. Open 9-Ball
- 1994 WPBA Baltimore Billiards Classic
- 1994 WPBA Kasson Classic
- 1994 WPBA San Francisco Classic
- 1994 WPBA Nationals
- 2007 Pool & Billiard Magazine Fans' Top 20 Favorite Players, #4
- 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 Ranked one of the Most Powerful People in the Sport by Billiards Digest
- 1998 WPBA Sportsperson of the Years
- 1994 WPBA Player of the Year
- Formerly ranked #1 in the World and Player of the Year by Billiards Digest and Pool & Billiards Magazine
As someone who has suffered from scoliosis, Lee is a strong supporter of those affected by the disease, and now serves as the national spokesperson for the Scoliosis Association. Lee appeared on Fox Sports Net's Sport Science, where she 12 balls in one trick shot, on March 30, 2008. Orange County Choppers built the Black Widow Bike in Lee's honor on the TV show American Chopper.
- Hutton, Alice (2021-02-18). "US billiards player 'The Black Widow' diagnosed with cancer". The Independent. Retrieved 2021-02-20.
- Reference to her nickname
- "The Survey Says...: Pool & Billiard Magazine's 22nd Annual Player and Fan Poll". Pool & Billiard Magazine. Vol. 26 no. 2. Summerville, South Carolina: Sports Publications. February 2008. p. 14. ISSN 1049-2852.
- "Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame Inductees, 2011-2018". bca-pool.com. Billiard Congress of America. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- Morgan, John (April 18, 2003). "Jeanette Lee Shoots Down Scoliosis". USA Today. McLean, VA, US: Gannett. "Spotlight Health" section. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- Reference to the Black Widow Bike
- Marrero, Tony (2016-04-20). "Jeanette Lee, the 'Black Widow' of billiards, is taking her next shot in Tampa (w/video)". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2021-02-20.
- Spata, Christopher (2021-02-19). "Billiards star Jeanette Lee, known as 'Black Widow,' battling cancer in Tampa". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2021-02-20.
- Bieler, Des (2021-02-18). "Jeanette Lee, pool's 'Black Widow,' reveals diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2021-02-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeanette Lee (pool player).|
- http://www.blackwidowbilliards.com/ Jeanette Lee's Official Website
- https://www.pabsa.org/ Pan American Billiards & Snooker Association
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130305114903/http://blackwidowbilliards.co.kr/ Jeanette Lee's Official Website (Korea)
- WPBA Profile
- Jeanette Lee Photo Gallery
- Onthesnap.com Biography (Courtesy of archive.org)
- Press Release for the Black Widow Billiards Center
- Video of Jeanette Lee on Xtreme Presbox (exclusive)
- Video interview 2 with Jeanette Lee at Inside POOL Magazine
- Press Release on the birth of her daughter Savannah
- Jeanette Lee 2008 Derby City Straight Pool Challenge Video