This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jeanine Marie Mason
January 14, 1991
Miami, Florida, U.S.
|Known for||Winning So You Think You Can Dance: Season 5; Bunheads|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (163 cm)|
|Weight||120 lb (54 kg)|
Jeanine Marie Mason (born January 14, 1991) is an American actress and dancer. She is best known for her role as Liz Ortecho in the CW's drama series Roswell, New Mexico. Mason also had a recurring role as Dr. Sam Bello on ABC's popular medical drama Grey's Anatomy. After winning the 5th season of the Fox television show So You Think You Can Dance and earning the title of America’s Favorite Dancer, her acting career began.
She has also appeared in various TV series such as ABC Family’s Bunheads, ABC biblical drama Of Kings and Prophets opposite Ray Winstone, You’re the Worst, Awkward, TNT’s Major Crimes, NCIS: Los Angeles, CSI and Nickelodeon’s Big Time Rush.
On stage, she was last seen in Center Theatre Group's 2017 revival of Zoot Suit directed by playwright Luis Valdez opposite Demian Bichir.
Mason was born in Miami, Florida, and grew up in a dance-oriented family in Pinecrest. Both of her parents are of Cuban descent. Mason began her dance training at the age of three in ballet and flamenco, and went on to study jazz, acrobatics, hip-hop, modern, and contemporary dance. Mason began her study of theatre at age 11 with community and middle school productions. Upon moving to Los Angeles, California, Mason continues to study theater while also keeping a focus on film and Television at The Michael Woolson Studio. Jeanine graduated cum laude from UCLA in the Spring of 2014 and accredits the knowledge that she has attained at the school to fueling her creative work. "It’s always interesting to me how my studies mirror my life. Any time I’m learning new academic material, I find a way to use it in my work. And the more material I have to pull from, the richer that work becomes."
So You Think You Can Dance
At the age of 18, Mason competed on the fifth season of the show So You Think You Can Dance, becoming the youngest winner in the history of the competition over fellow contestants Brandon Bryant, Kayla Radomski, and Evan Kasprzak. For the first five weeks of the competition (Top 20 to Top 12), Mason was partnered with Phillip Chbeeb. During the show's sixth week (Top 10), Mason danced a contemporary number choreographed by Travis Wall and was partnered with Jason Glover. Later, Mason was also partnered with Brandon Bryant, Ade Obayomi, Evan Kasprzak, and Kayla Radomski. Mason was consistently praised for her strong and versatile performances.
During the fall of 2009, Mason toured the United States with the top twelve dancers of the So You Think You Can Dance competition.
Shortly after completing So You Think You Can Dance, Mason turned her full attention to channeling her performing skills into her other lifelong love, the craft of acting. Her on-screen career began when Mason starred in the Halloween episode of Nickelodeon's hit show, Big Time Rush. From there, she appeared in The Bling Ring, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The Fresh Beat Band, and Hollywood Heights before landing the recurring role of Cozzette on ABC Family’s Bunheads and leading roles in Hot Mess, and Delirium. She has also booked roles on Major Crimes and Secret Life of the American Teenager as well as several smaller, independent projects. Mason had a recurring role on ABC's hit medical drama Grey's Anatomy as Dr. Sam Bello.
Mason performed on November 29, 2009 at the Dizzy Feet Gala in Los Angeles, California at the Kodak Theater. She and Jason Glover performed their popular contemporary piece, "If It Kills Me", choreographed by Travis Wall, and originally performed Top 10 week on SYTYCD. Glover has described Mason as "Unique. You just don’t find dancers like her. She has beautiful lines, is funky and charismatic, and has so much life onstage. Not only does it show in her movement but also on her face. Jeanine is a brilliant performer and one of my favorite people to watch — not just in our group, but out of any dancer I've seen, from Gregory Hines to Gene Kelly."
|2||Tango||"Violento (Up Mix)"—Bailongo!||Safe|
|3||Broadway||"Moses Supposes"—from”Singin' in the Rain”||Safe|
|4||Hip-Hop||"Love Lockdown"—Kanye West||Bottom 3|
|Results show solo||"Moonlight Sonata"—Smart Sleep With Classical|
|5||Russian folk dance||"Kalinka"—Barynya||Bottom 3|
|Jive||"Stuff Like That There"—Bette Midler|
|Results show solo||"Baby's Romance"—Chris Garneau|
|6||Jason Glover||Contemporary||"If It Kills Me (The Casa Nova Sessions)"—Jason Mraz||Safe|
|Performance show solo||"Violento (Up Mix)"—Bailongo!|
|7||Brandon Bryant||Smooth Waltz||"May It Be"— Hayley Westenra||Safe|
|Pop Jazz||"Battlefield"—Jordin Sparks|
|Performance show solo||"Let the Drummer Kick"—Citizen Cope|
|8||Ade Obayomi||Samba||"LoveGame"—Lady Gaga||Safe|
|Hip-Hop||"Move (If You Wanna)"—Mims|
|Performance show solo||"Feedback"—Janet Jackson|
|9||Evan Kasprzak||Jazz||"Heartbreaker"—MSTRKRFT featuring John Legend||Winner|
|Kayla Radomski||Contemporary||"The Four Sections: IV (Full Orchestra)"—Steve Reich|
|Brandon Bryant||Paso Doble||”Tetsujin"— from The Matrix Revolutions†|
|Final solo||"Por una Cabeza"—The Tango Project|
|2012||¡Understudy!||Clara Klein||Short film|
|2015||Stars||Heather's Mother||Short film|
|2016||El Empantanado (The Muddy)||Heili|
|2017||The Archer||Rebecca Rosinsky|
|2010||Big Time Rush||Muffy||Episode: "Big Time Halloween"|
|2011||The Fresh Beat Band||Amy||Episode: "Step It Up"|
|2011||The Bling Ring||Bosso||Lifetime television film|
|2011||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Gween Seligson||Episode: "Brain Doe"|
|2012||Hollywood Heights||Natalie||2 episodes|
|2013||The Secret Life of the American Teenager||Bebe||Episode: "Money for Nothin'"|
|2013||Major Crimes||Heather||Episode: "Jailbait"|
|2014||Delirium||Hana Tate||Unsold Fox pilot|
|2014||Awkward||Shayne||Episode: "Prison Breaks"|
|2014||You're the Worst||Dana||Episode: "Equally Dead Inside"|
|2014||NCIS: Los Angeles||Bonnie Flores||Episode: "The Grey Man"|
|2016||Of Kings and Prophets||Merav||Main role; 9 episodes|
|2017||Ride Overshare||Natalie||Episode: "Natalie"|
|2017||Daytime Divas||Nick||2 episodes|
|2017||Criminal Minds||Helen Pierce||Episode: "To a Better Place"|
|2017–18||Grey's Anatomy||Dr. Sam Bello||Recurring role; 12 episodes|
|2018||Grey's Anatomy: B-Team||ABC webseries; 3 episodes|
|2019||Roswell, New Mexico||Liz Ortecho||Lead role|
- 2005, 1st Place Overall High Score Teen Solo American Dance Awards
- 2005, Teen Elite Dancer and Capezio Ballet Award West Coast Dance Explosion
- 2005, 1st Runner-up Junior Orange Bowl Creative Writing Competition
- 2006, Teen Elite Dancer West Coast Dance Explosion
- 2006, Teen High Score Solo & Teen Outstanding Dancer New York City Dance Alliance
- 2006, 1st Place Overall High Score Senior Solo & Hall of Fame Inductee Hall of Fame
- 2006, Ms. Teen Starquest Starquest
- 2007, Senior Outstanding Dancer New York City Dance Alliance
- 2007, Hall of Fame Inductee Hall of Fame
- 2007, Senior Dancer of the Year American Dance Awards
- 2008, Senior Outstanding Dancer & 1st Overall Senior Solo New York City Dance Alliance
- 2008, National Senior Jump VIP Winner Jump
- 2008, 1st Overall Senior Solo Star Systems
- 2008, Female Dancer of the Year & 1st Overall Senior Solo American Dance Awards
- 2008, 1st Overall Senior Solo Starquest
- 2008, 1st Overall Senior Solo Showbiz
- 2008, 1st Overall Senior Solo Hall of Fame
- 2009, Winner So You Think You Can Dance
- "JEANINE MASON : AFTRA" (PDF). Content.blocagency.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- itsjeaninemason (January 14, 2018). "Thank you for all the birthday wishes. Man do I adore you all! Xo". Instagram. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Default, retrieved 2019-01-29
- The Archer, retrieved 2019-01-29
- ""SYTYCD" Winner Jeanine Mason: "I Was a Horrific Dancer!"". Latina.com. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Jeanine Mason Knows She Can Dance" People Magazine. August 7, 2009. Retrieved 17 April 2011
- "Our Clients | The Michael Woolson Studio". Michaelwoolson.com. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- "Jeanine Mason: Why I Chose College". Dance Spirit. 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- "So You Think You Can Dance - So You Think You Can Dance Tour 2009". Web.archive.org. 12 July 2009. Archived from the original on 12 July 2009. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Grey's Anatomy: Meet the new interns". Entertainment Weekly. May 25, 2011. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 30, 2018). "'Roswell' Reboot, Projects Produced By Greg Berlanti & Rob Thomas Among 6 CW Pilot Orders For Record Total Of 9 Pilots". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 16, 2018). "'Roswell': Jeanine Mason Cast As the Lead Of the CW Reboot Pilot". Deadline. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (May 11, 2018). "The CW Picks Up 'Charmed' & 'Roswell' Reboots, 'TVD'/'Originals Offshoot, 'In The Dark' & Greg Berlanti Pilot To Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 11, 2018.
- "The Dizzy Feet Gala: Dance Gives Back - Reality Rocks". Web.archive.org. 6 December 2009. Archived from the original on 6 December 2009. Retrieved 21 August 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "America's Sweetheart". Dance Spirit. 2017-10-09. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
| Winner of So You Think You Can Dance