26 August 1973 |
Déols (Indre), France
Jeannette Bougrab is a French lawyer and politician. She served as the junior minister for Youth and Community Life from 14 November 2010 to 10 May 2012 and is a member of the UMP party. Prior to this, she was the Chair of the French Equal Opportunities and Anti-Discrimination Commission (HALDE) from 16 April 2010 to 14 November 2010.
Jeannette Bougrab was born 26 August 1973 in Déols (Indre), to a Harki father. She received a Masters (DEA) in Law from the University of Orléans in 1997. In 2002 she completed a PhD in Public Law from the Sorbonne in Paris as well as a Masters (Magistère) in Economics Law.
She served on the Board of Directors of the Union pour un Mouvement Populaire (UMP) until 2007. She has been a member of the Haut Conseil à l'Intégration, the Administrative Board of the Arab World Institute (AWI) and the diversity oversight of the Conseil supérieur de l'audiovisuel (CSA). In 2010, she also became Chair of the Administrative Board of the Agence pour la Cohésion Sociale et l'Egalité (ACSE).
She is an atheist and a supporter of French secularism. She has claimed that she was the companion of cartoonist Charb, who was director of the Charlie Hebdo satirical journal and was killed in the Charlie Hebdo shooting in January 2015; however, Charb's family has strongly disputed this.
Bougrab has stated to the media, "I always knew he was going to die like Theo Van Gogh. I begged him to leave France but he wouldn’t." She has also said that Charb never had children because he knew he was going to die, that he defended secularism and the spirit of Voltaire. "I admired him before I fell in love with him and I loved him because of the way he was, because he was brave. He thought that life was a small thing unless he was defending his ideals," she said.
Charb's family, via a statement issued by his brother on 10 January 2015, denied the existence of any "interpersonal commitment" between Charb and Jeannette Bougrab. In response Jeanette Bougrab authorized the release of recent photographs of the couple together.
- MSN News
- 'Bougrab incarnera la diversité', Journal du Dimanche, 14 November 2010 
- 'REMANIEMENT - Jeannette Bougrab, de la Halde au gouvernement', Le Point, 14 November 2010 
- Le Monde, 23 March 2010 'Jeannette Bougrab nommée présidente de la Halde'
- « Jeannette Bougrab, 33 ans. Candidate aux législatives dans le XVIIIe », Libération, 2 juin 2007.
- Jeannette Bougrab met le feu à l'Institut français de Finlande, Le Point, 6 April 2016.
- JEANNETTE BOUGRAB : L'IMPERTINENTE DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE, Elle, 1 February 2013
- Jeannette Bougrab, laïque hard, Liberation, 8 January 2013
- "Veil verdict: 'A dark day for secularism in France'". The Local. 20 March 2013.
- Samuel Auffray, Ariane Kujawski, EN DIRECT - Jeannette Bougrab, compagne de Charb: "ils méritent le Panthéon", BFM TV, 8 January 2015
- Charlie Hebdo : Jeannette Bougrab, compagne de Charb : "Il a été exécuté", Sud-Ouest, 8 January 2015
- "Charlie Hebdo" : Charb "mérite le Panthéon", selon Jeannette Bougrab, sa compagne, francetvinfo, 8 January 2015
- "La famille de Charb dément l'"engagement relationnel" du dessinateur avec Jeannette Bougrab". Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Jeannette Bougrab says she always knew Charlie Hebdo editor partner would be assassinated". News. 10 January 2015.
- "Personne ne pourra m’enlever ma relation avec Charb". Retrieved 11 January 2014.