Jeannette Montgomery Barron
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jeannette Montgomery Barron
Jeannette Montgomery Barron (born 1956) is an American photographer who has made portraits of artists such as Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Cindy Sherman, and still life photography.
Life and work
Montgomery Barron was born in Atlanta, Georgia and moved to New York in 1979 to study at the International Center of Photography. In 1982, she began a series of artist portraits, starting with painter Francesco Clemente. In 1984, gallerist Bruno Bischofberger assigned Montgomery Barron to photograph Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat at The Factory. There, she met Keith Haring, Bianca Jagger, and Boy George, who became subjects in her portraiture series. These photographs were exhibited by Galerie Bruno Bischofberger in 1985 and published in her first monograph, Jeannette Montgomery Barron.
Montgomery Barron then collaborated with poet Jorie Graham on a collection of still life photographs entitled Photographs and Poems, published by Scalo in 1998. Her following series of work, Mirrors, was published by Holzwarth Editions in 2004 and includes text by Edmund White. Twenty photographs taken on Montgomery Barron's visit to artist Keith Haring's studio in 1985 were published in her next monograph, Session with Keith Haring. In My Mother's Clothes, she created a portrait of her late mother through still life images of her cherished clothing, shoes, and personal possessions. As her mother's struggle with Alzheimer's disease progressed, robbing her of any remembered past, she began this visual album as a way of both sparking her mother's memories, and coping with her own sense of loss. My Mother's Clothes received praise from The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and The New Yorker.
In Spring 2013, powerHouse Books published Scene, a book of her portraits from the 1980s. My Year's in the 1980's New York Art Scene, was published in 2014 in conjunction with a major exhibition of her work at Collezione Maramotti.
- Jeannette Montgomery Barron. Zurich: Bruno Bischofberger, 1990. ISBN 978-3-905173-30-7.
- Photographs and Poems. Zurich: Scalo, 1998. ISBN 3-931141-62-4.
- Mirrors. Berlin: Holzwarth, 2004. ISBN 3-935567-15-4.
- Session with Keith Haring. Berlin: Holzwarth, 2006. ISBN 3-935567-29-4.
- Sixteen Portraits. Paris: One Star, 1982–2002.
- My Mother's Clothes. New York: Welcome, 2010. ISBN 978-1-59962-077-0.
- Scene. New York: powerHouse, 2013.
- Martine Bedin/ Jeannette Montgomery Barron, À petits pas. Paris: Bernard Chaveau.
- My Years in the 1980's New York Art Scene. Silvana.
- 1985: Galerie Bruno Bischofberger, Zurich
- 1989: Scalo, Zurich
- 1990: Staley-Wise Gallery, New York
- 1995: Sotheby's, Zurich
- 1996: Magazzino d'Arte Moderna, Rome
- 1997: Staley-Wise Gallery, New York
- 1998: Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, Georgia
- 1998: Scalo, Zurich
- 1999: Scalo, New York
- 2004: Magazzino d'Arte Moderna, Rome
- 2005: ClampArt, New York
- 2008: ClampArt, New York
- 2010: Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, Georgia
- 2010: Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia
- 2011: Sèvres—Cité de la céramique, À Petits pas, vases de Martine Bedin et de Jeannette Montgomery-Barron
- 2013: Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, GA
- 2013: Colette, Paris
- 2015: Collezione Maramotti, Reggio Emilia, Italy
- 2016: American Academy in Rome, Rome, Italy
- 2016: Magazzino, Rome, Italy
- 2017: A View of One's Own: Three Women Photographers in Rome: Esther Boise Van Deman, Georgina Masson and Jeannette Montgomery Barron
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron" Jackson Fine Art.
- Elkins, Amy and Cara Phillips, "Jeannette Montgomery Barron", Women in Photography
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron", Magazzino d'Arte Moderna.
- "My Mother's Clothes", Welcome Books.
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron My Years in the 1980s ARTBOOK - D.A.P. 2015 Catalog Silvana Editoriale 9788836628698". www.artbook.com. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron: Mirrors", Magazzino d'Arte Moderna. n.p., n.d.
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron: Mirrors" ClampArt. n.p., n.d.
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron: Vintage Portraits from the 1980s", ClampArt. n.p., n.d.
- "Jeannette Montgomery Barron", Jackson Fine Art. n.p., n.d.
- "Savannah College of Art and Design launches 'My Mother's Clothes' book tour in Savannah", Savannah College of Art and Design. n.p., 5 Apr. 2010.
- "À petits pas, vases de martine bedin et de jeannette montgomery-barron". www.sevresciteceramique.fr. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "- Photography Artist - Jackson Fine Art". www.jacksonfineart.com. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "colette". www.colette.fr. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Exhibition detail - Collezione Maramotti". www.collezionemaramotti.org. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "A View of One’s Own - Three Women Photographers in Rome: Esther Boise Van Deman, Georgina Masson, Jeannette Montgomery Barron"
- "A View of One's Own: Three Women Photographers in Rome — Arthur Ross Gallery". www.arthurrossgallery.org. Retrieved 25 August 2017.