Jeannette Marie Wing
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Institutions||Columbia University, |
Carnegie Mellon University,
University of Southern California
|Thesis||A Two-Tiered Approach to Specifying Programs (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||John Guttag|
|Doctoral students||Greg Morrisett|
Jeannette Marie Wing is Avanessians Director of the Data Science Institute at Columbia University, where she is also a professor of computer science. Until June 30, 2017, she was Corporate Vice President of Microsoft Research with oversight of its core research laboratories around the world and Microsoft Research Connections. Prior to 2013, she was the President's Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. She also served as assistant director for Computer and Information Science and Engineering at the NSF from 2007 to 2010.
Wing earned her S.B. and S.M. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT in June 1979. Her advisers were Ronald Rivest and John Reiser. In 1983, she earned her Ph.D. in Computer Science at MIT under John Guttag. She is a fourth-degree black belt in Tang Soo Do.
Career and research
Wing was on the faculty of the University of Southern California from 1982 to 1985 and then the faculty of Carnegie Mellon from 1985 to 2012. She served as the head of the Computer Science Department from 2004 to 2007 and from 2010 to 2012. In January 2013, she took a leave from Carnegie Mellon to work at Microsoft Research.
She has also been a strong promoter of computational thinking, expressing the algorithmic problem-solving and abstraction techniques used by computer scientists and how they might be applied in other disciplines.
She is a member of the editorial board of the following journals:
- Foundations and Trends in Privacy and Security (co-Editor-in-Chief)
- Journal of the ACM
- Formal Aspects of Computing (North American Editor)
- Formal Methods in System Design
- International Journal of Software and Informatics
- Journal of Information Science and Engineering
- Software Tools for Technology Transfer
- Jeannette Wing at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "President Bollinger Names Microsoft Research Head Jeannette Wing to Lead Columbia's Data Science Institute". Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Jeannette Wing". Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Clayton, Steve (November 20, 2012). "Dr. Jeannette Wing: New Vice President, Head of Microsoft Research International". blogs.microsoft.com.
- Wing, Jeanette M. (2006). "Computational thinking" (PDF). Communications of the ACM. 49 (3): 33–35. doi:10.1145/1118178.1118215. S2CID 1693513.
- Wing, Jeannette M; Woodcock, Jim; Davies, Jim, eds. (1999). FM'99 – Formal Methods: World Congress on Formal Methods in the Development of Computing Systems Toulouse, France, September 20–24, 1999 Proceedings, Volume I. LNCS. 1708. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/3-540-48119-2. ISBN 978-3-540-66587-8. S2CID 36821080.
- Wing, Jeannette M; Woodcock, Jim; Davies, Jim, eds. (1999). FM'99 – Formal Methods: World Congress on Formal Methods in the Development of Computing Systems Toulouse, France, September 20–24, 1999 Proceedings, Volume II. LNCS. 1709. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/3-540-48118-4. ISBN 978-3-540-66588-5. S2CID 2986421.
- Martin, U.; Wing, J. M., eds. (1993). Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Larch. Workshops in Computing. Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-540-19804-8.
- Garland, S. J.; Jones, K. D.; Modet, A.; Wing, J. M. (1993). Guttag, J. V.; Horning, J. J. (eds.). Larch: Languages and Tools for Formal Specification. Springer-Verlag. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.137.5123. doi:10.1007/978-1-4612-2704-5. ISBN 978-1-4612-7636-4. S2CID 13066418.
- Jeannette M. Wing at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Jeannette Wing's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Jeannette Wing author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Herlihy, M. P.; Wing, J. M. (1990). "Linearizability: A correctness condition for concurrent objects". ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems. 12 (3): 463. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.142.5315. doi:10.1145/78969.78972. S2CID 228785.
- Clarke, E. M.; Wing, J. M. (1996). "Formal methods: State of the art and future directions". ACM Computing Surveys. 28 (4): 626. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.60.8874. doi:10.1145/242223.242257. S2CID 5534240.
- McLaughlin, Kevin. "14 Tech Execs Who Could Probably Kick Your Butt In A Fight". Business Insider. Retrieved 2021-04-09.
- "Jeannette M. Wing". cs.cmu.edu.
- "IEEE Fellows directory". IEEE. Retrieved 2021-07-24.
- Aaronson, Lauren, Q&A With: Jeannette Wing
- Jon Udell's Interviews with Innovators – Dr. Jeannette Wing