Berlin on newspaper advertisement for Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (1975)
Jeannie Brette May
November 1, 1949
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Jeannie Berlin (born Jeannie Brette May, November 1, 1949) is an American film, television and stage actress and screenwriter, known for her role in the 1972 film The Heartbreak Kid, for which she received Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations. She later played the leading role in Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (1975), and in 2000s returned to screen appearing in films such as Margaret (2011), Inherent Vice (2014) and Cafe Society (2016), as well as the miniseries The Night Of (2016). In 2018 she played the President of the United States of America in the Hulu original series The First, a science fiction drama about NASA astronauts exploring the planet Mars.
Born in Los Angeles, California, Berlin is the daughter of actress/comedian/screenwriter/playwright/director Elaine May (née Berlin) and inventor Marvin May. Elaine May directed Jeannie Berlin in the 1972 film The Heartbreak Kid, which garnered Berlin Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actress.
Berlin's performance in the 1972 feature film The Heartbreak Kid garnered her Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actress. Additional screen credits during the 1970s included Getting Straight (1970), The Strawberry Statement (1970), Portnoy's Complaint (1971), and the leading role in Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (1975). She also had a leading role in "Old Fashioned Murder", a 1976 episode of Columbo. After an extended absence of several decades from acting in films, she has recently appeared in prominent works such as Margaret (2011), Inherent Vice (2014), and Café Society (2016). She received positive reviews for her performance as prosecutor Helen Weiss in the HBO miniseries The Night Of in 2016.
- Erickson, Hal. "Jeannie Berlin - Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos". AllMovie. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Jeannie Berlin". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture (1973)". GoldenGlobes.com. Golden Globe Awards. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Oscar Ceremony 1973 (Actress In A Supporting Role)". Oscars.org. Academy Awards. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- Fountain, Clarke. "Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (1975) - Sidney J. Furie - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related". AllMovie. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Jeannie Berlin's performance of the summer". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Performer of the Week: Jeannie Berlin". TVLine.com. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Jeannie Berlin, JoBeth Williams join 'Other Desert Cities' cast". Los Angeles Times. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 3 February 2016 – via latimes.com.
- Tatiana Siegel (4 August 2015). "Woody Allen New Film Cast: Blake Lively, Kristen Stewart, Bruce Willis, More". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 February 2016.