Jeannie G. Pool
Jeannie Gayle Pool (born 1951) is an American composer, author and music producer.
Jeannie Pool was born in Paris, Illinois, and studied music in New York City at Hunter College of the City University of New York, where she received a bachelor's degree in music. She received a master's degree from California State University, Northridge, and a Ph.D. from Claremont Graduate University. After completing her studies, Pool taught music at Fullerton College and Mount Saint Mary's College and worked as a radio and music producer. She began composing for stage productions and youth orchestras and went on to compose sacred and orchestral works. Her compositions have been performed internationally.
Pool helped to found and serves as advisor to the Board of the International Alliance for Women in Music, and in 2004 was elected to the Board of the American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers. From 1990-2002 she served as the Executive Director of the Society for the Preservation of Film Music. As of 2011, she has authored or co-authored eight books, including American Composer Zenobia Powell Perry: Race and Gender in the 20th Century (2009) and Peggy Gilbert & Her All-Girl Band (2008).
Pool has composed for films and stage productions, choral performance, chamber ensemble and orchestra. Selected works include:
- A Woman of Independent Means, for narrator, bassoon, and recorded tape (1983)
- Cantata: We Believe in You, O God (1999) Based on the Statement of Faith, United Church of Christ, for soloists, choir, chamber orchestra, organ and bagpipes
- Dance by the Sea, for alto saxophone and orchestra (1996)
- Episodia I for flute, clarinet and bassoon (1996)
- With Pleasure for viola and cello (1996)
- Episodia II for chamber orchestra (2000)
Her works have been recorded and issued on CD.
- Pool, Jeannie Gayle (2020). The Story of the All-Women's Orchestras in California. Los Angeles, CA: Jaygayle Music Books. ISBN 978-1075291333.
- Pool, Jeannie Gayle; Simmons, Beverly (2019). Source Readings from the International Congress on Women in Music: A companion Volume to The Passions of Musical Women. Los Angeles, CA: Jaygayle Music Books. ISBN 978-1798862896.
- Pool, Jeannie Gayle; Wright, H. Stephen (2011). A Research Guide to Film and Television Music in the United States. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press. ISBN 9780810876880. OCLC 651011993.
- Pool, Jeannie Gayle (2009). American Composer Zenobia Powell Perry : Race and Gender in the 20th Century. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press. ISBN 9780810863767. OCLC 239233280.
- Pool, Jeannie G. (2009). Passions of Musical Women : The Story of the International Congress on Women in Music. Los Angeles, CA: Jaygayle Music Books. ISBN 9780557055456. OCLC 317559465.
- Pool, Jeannie Gayle (2008). Peggy Gilbert & Her All-Girl Band. Foreword by Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0-8108-6102-2. OCLC 173749535.
- Pool, Jeannie (1986). California Mission Music : A Bibliography. Northridge, CA: Music Dept., California State University at Northridge. OCLC 33893811.
- Pool, Jeannie (1986). Handbook, Teaching the History of Women in Music. Northridge, CA: California State University, Northridge Dept. of Music. OCLC 15138299.
- Fry, Stephen M.; Pool, Jeannie G. (1985). The Story of the All Women's Orchestras in California, 1893-1955 : Bibliography. Northridge, CA: Dept. of Music, California State University, Northridge. OCLC 12058193.
- Pool, Jeannie G. (1977). Women in Music History : A Research Guide. Pool. LCCN 79-123489. OCLC 5944033.
Honors and awards
- Appreciation Award from the International Alliance for Women in Music, 1999 in London
- Award from the International Alliance for Women in Music for work on behalf of women musicians, 1995
- Award from National Association of Composers, U.S.A. for promotion of American composers, 1995
- Service Award from the International Congress on Women in Music at the New York City Congress, 1990
- Award from National Federation of Music Clubs for promotion of American music, 1979
- Service Award from the California Federation of Music Clubs, 1989
- Honorary Arts Member of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity, 1982
- Award from the University of Southern California School of Music for work on behalf of women in music, 1982
- Radio awards from Sigma Alpha Iota for outstanding broadcasting of American music, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988
- Award from Local 47 of the American Federation of Musicians for documenting the history of women in music, 1986
- Honorary member Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, California State University, Northridge Chapter, 1986.
- "Pool, Jeannie G." id.loc.gov. Library of Congress. January 9, 2013. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Cohen, Aaron I. (1987). International encyclopedia of women composers: Volume 1.
- "Biography". Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- "Pool, Jeannie G." WorldCat Identities. OCLC. 2010. Retrieved November 25, 2018.