Chrysler LLC (2007-2009)
Chrysler Group LLC (2009-2014)
FCA US LLC (2014-2017)
|Assembly||United States: Belvidere, Illinois, (Belvidere Assembly)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door SUV|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine, front-wheel drive / all-wheel drive|
|Platform||Chrysler PM/MK platform|
|Wheelbase||103.7 in (2,635 mm)|
|Length||173.6 in (4,409 mm)|
|Width||69.1 in (1,755 mm)|
Jeep Renegade (BU)|
Jeep Compass (MP)
Jeep Cherokee (KL) (Russia)
The Jeep Patriot (MK74) is a front-engine five-door compact crossover SUV manufactured and marketed by Jeep, having debuted with the Jeep Compass in April 2006 at the New York Auto Show for the 2007 model year. Both cars, as well as Dodge Caliber shared the GS platform, differentiated by their styling and marketing, with the Patriot exclusively offering a four-wheel drive system, marketed as Freedom Drive II.
The Patriot was manufactured at Chrysler's Belvidere, Illinois assembly plant alongside the Compass. Although the model was still selling well even as it was essentially unchanged as it entered its 11th model year, production ended with the 2017 model year.
In the U.S. the Patriot uses either the 2.0 L or 2.4 L World gasoline I4 engine. Both front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive are available. The Patriot features two four-wheel drive systems both of which are electronically controlled. The basic four-wheel drive system is called Freedom Drive I. This system is a full-time front-wheel-drive based 4WD/AWD system that is front-wheel-drive when it has traction, but can automatically put up to 20-30% power to the rear wheels, or can be locked in 50-50 below a certain speed. The other system, called Freedom Drive II, is based on Freedom Drive I, but by using the vehicle's CVT transmission it is capable of a 19:1 gear reduction simulating a low range usually found in vehicles with dedicated transfer cases. The 2.4 L GEMA I4 is an option for the 4X2 model Patriot.
For Europe and Australia, a 2.0 L (1968 cc; 120 cid; 140ps) Volkswagen-manufactured diesel engine is fitted along with a 6-speed manual gearbox. All EU cars are fitted as standard with four wheel drive and a version of the Freedom Drive System that tuned differently from the U.S. versions, but with similar capability to FDII with brake traction control and three switchable electronic stability control and traction control settings for on or off-road use.
The Patriot won 2007 Green 4x4 Award and the 2008 4x4 of the Year in the UK.
The Patriot uses a continuously variable transmission equipped with a four wheel drive system, marketed as Freedom Drive II, capable of holding the lowest ratio the CVT can reach, in lieu of a traditional two-speed transfer case. The Patriot carries Jeep's "Trail Rated" badging.
|Sport||2.4 L World I4||172 hp (128 kW)||165 lb⋅ft (224 N⋅m)||5-speed manual|
The Patriot is offered in three basic models with several additional options available:
-Manual Roll-Up Windows and Manual Door Locks
-Vinyl-Wrapped Steering Wheel and Dual-Note Horn
-Cruise Control (Not all years)
-Vinyl (Later Cloth) Seating Surfaces
-Manual Front Bucket Seats
-Folding Rear Bench Seat
-Heater and Fan Blower
-2.0L I4 Engine (4X2) or 2.4L I4 Engine (4X4)
-5-Speed Manual Transmission
-16" All-Season Tires
-16" Styled Steel Wheels
-A/M-F/M Stereo w/ Single-Disc CD Player (Later CD-MP3 Player) and Four Speakers
-Power Windows w/ One-Touch Driver's Auto Down Feature and Power Door Locks
-SIRIUS-XM Satellite Radio (optional accessory)
-Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
-Keyless Entry w/ Panic Feature and Security System
-Cloth Seating Surfaces
-Air Conditioning w/ Manual Control
-17" All-Season Tires
-17" Alloy Wheels -Rear Dome Light Flashlight
-Cloth (Later Leather) Seating Surfaces
-Power Front Driver's Seat
-U Connect Hands-Free Bluetooth Telephone System
At the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Jeep Patriot was added to Chrysler's ENVI lineup. As with the previously announced Jeep Wrangler EV, the Jeep Patriot EV is an extended-range electric vehicle (EREV, also called a plug-in hybrid vehicle), capable of traveling 40 mi (64 km) solely on battery power and up to 400 mi (644 km) on a single tank of gas.
However, Chrysler's new partner Fiat SpA disbanded the ENVI division in November 2009, and removed the three ENVI models from its 5-year plan for Chrysler. There have been no announced plans to continue with the electric version.
The Patriot received minor interior and exterior upgrades for 2011. The front fog lamps were shrunken and relocated, and the "Patriot" lettering on the rear bumper was removed and replaced with a more traditional rear bumper. Three trims were offered in the US: Sport, Latitude, and Limited (which replaced the earlier Latitude X). In Canada, North Edition replaced the Latitude trim with slightly different equipment.
In the EU, four trims were offered: Sport, Sport Plus, Limited, and an Overland version. In the EU market, the 2.0 L Volkswagen PD Diesel Engine was replaced by a 2.2 L Mercedes-Benz Twin-Cam Common Rail Diesel engine delivering 163 hp (122 kW).
For 2011, a 70th Anniversary Edition model was offered to commemorate the Jeep history. It was based on the Sport model with special olive or beige interior colors, unique alloy wheels, a nine-speaker Boston Acoustics premium sound system with subwoofer and fold-down lift gate speakers, Sirius XM Radio, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather seats, heated front seats, and other features. This model was available from May to October 2011.
For 2012 only, an Altitude Edition model, based on the Sport model, was offered. It featured a black leather upholstery, special black-finished alloy wheels, a nine-speaker sound system, Sirius XM Radio, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, heated front seats, and black-painted exterior accents. This model started production in May 2012, and was only available for a few months.
For the 2013 model year, a Freedom Edition model, based on the Sport model, was offered to commemorate Jeep's commitment to the U.S. Army and military, as well to commemorate all of the soldiers who have served. It has a special star hood decal, power leather seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, Sirius XM Radio, and dark-finished alloy wheels. This model features Commando Green Metallic exterior paint that is not available on other 2013 Jeep Patriots.
The Jeep Patriot underwent many changes in trims or models for the 2014 model year; however, 2014 was the first model year that Freedom Drive 1 Patriots came with a Hyundai 6-speed automatic transmission instead of the CVT.
2017 was the last year for the Patriot, but production was discontinued in December 2016 (with the remainder of the fleet marketed as "2017" and sold until stock depletion). Both Patriot and first-generation Jeep Compass were replaced by second-generation thereof. However, in 2018, the Jeep Patriot is still available for the Canadian market.
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
|Moderate overlap frontal offset||Good|
|Small overlap frontal offset||Poor|
*2007-2013 models with additional optional side airbags. Models without additional optional side air bags were rated Marginal.
|Side Pole Driver:|
|Calendar Year||United States||Canada||Other||México|
|Total Sales 956,097|
- Fritz, Dariene, ed. (2007). "Jeep 4x4 Capability - Patriot". Automotive Engineering International. SAE International. 115 (5): 34–36. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "All-new 2007 Jeep Patriot Production Launched" (Press release). worldcarfans.com. 21 December 2006. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Wendler, Andrew. "Jeep Patriot Reviews". Car and Driver. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Hardigree, Matt (10 January 2009). "Jeep Patriot EV: A Conceptual Electric Missile From Chrysler". Jalopnik. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Kroliki, Kevin (6 November 2009). "Chrysler dismantles electric car plans under Fiat". Reuters. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "It's Official: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Is Coming in 2017". blog.caranddriver.com. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "Jeep confirms pickup; new SUV to be Patriot or Compass". Detroit News. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "IIHS-HLDI: Jeep Patriot". Iihs.org. Archived from the original on 2013-03-18. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "2012 Jeep Patriot Small SUV - Top Safety Pick". Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "2007 Jeep Patriot 4-DR. w/SAB | Safercar - NHTSA". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "2008 Jeep Patriot 4-DR. w/SAB | Safercar - NHTSA". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "2009 Jeep Patriot 4-DR. w/SAB | Safercar - NHTSA". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "2010 Jeep Patriot 4-DR. w/SAB | Safercar - NHTSA". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "2013 Jeep Patriot SUV 2WD | Safercar - NHTSA". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "2013 Jeep Patriot SUV 4WD | Safercar - NHTSA". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "Total Chrysler LLC December 2007 Sales Up 1 Percent on the Strength of Retail". CheersandGears.com. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- Internet Contenidos Inegi (Automotriz 2013pdf)
- "December 2008 Sales: Chrysler LLC". CheersandGears.com. 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Chrysler Group LLC December 2009 Sales". CheersandGears.com. 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "Chrysler Group LLC December 2010 Sales". CheersandGears.com. 2011-01-04. Retrieved 2011-01-04.
- "Chrysler Canada Celebrates 26 Per Cent Sales Growth in 2010". chrysler.com. Retrieved 2011-02-05.[permanent dead link]
- "Chrysler sales shoot up 37% (26% for 2011)". allpar.com. Archived from the original on 2012-01-10. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Chrysler Group LLC Reports December 2012 U.S. Sales Increased 10 Percent" (Press release). Chrysler Group LLC. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- "Jeep Brand Records New All-time Global Sales Record in 2013" (Press release). Chrysler Group LLC. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "FCA US LLC Reports December 2014 U.S. Sales Increased 20 Percent – Best December Sales in a Decade; Full-Year Sales Up 16 Percent – Strongest Annual Sales Since 2006" (Press release). FCA US LLC. 5 January 2015. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Jeep® Brand Records Fourth Consecutive Global Sales Record" (Press release). Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Cars Italy (Sales Mexico Jeep Patriot)
- PR Newswire (FCA US Reports 2016 December and Full-Year U.S. Sales)
- FCA CANADA (FCA Canada December and Full-year 2016 Sales)
- FCA USA (FCA U.S. April 2017 Sales Notes)
- FCA CANADA (FCA Canada Reports April 2017 Sales)
- Good Car Bad Car (Jeep Patriot Sales Figures)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeep Patriot.|
- Official site
- Jeep Patriot Debut at Geneva Motor Show
- Jeep Patriot Review Off Road Test
- Technical description of the Freedom Drive 4WD system