Jeetendra in 2012
7 April 1942
Amritsar, Punjab, India)
|Other names||Jumping Jack|
Chairman - Balaji Telefilms
Jeetendra (born Ravi Kapoor on 7 April 1942) is an Indian actor, T.V and film producer as chairman of the Balaji Telefilms, Balaji Motion Pictures and ALT Entertainment. Famous for his dancing, he was awarded a Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003 and the Screen Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005.
Jeetendra was born Ravi Kapoor in Amritsar, Punjab to Amarnath and Krishna Kapoor whose business dealt with imitation jewellery. He attended St.Sebastian’s Goan High School in Girgaum, with his friend Rajesh Khanna and then studied at Siddharth College. While supplying jewellery to V. Shantaram, he was cast as Sandhya's character's double in the 1959 movie "Navrang".
Jeetendra's active acting career spanned the 1960s to the 1990s. Jeetendra was frequently paired with Sridevi or Jaya Prada for remakes of South Indian films by Rama Rao Tatineni, K. Bapayya and K. Raghavendra Rao; these included Sanjog, Aulad, Majaal, Justice Chaudhry (1982), Mawaali (1983), Himmatwala (1983), Jaani Dushman (1979) and Tohfa (1984). He also did many remakes in Hindi of Krishna's Telugu movies and had very close association with him. Besides these south Indian remakes, there was a subdued side of Jeetendra whenever he'd worked with the writer/lyricist Gulzar in films like Parichay, Kinara and Khushboo that had several beautifully penned songs like O Majhi Re, Musafir Hoon Yaaron and Naam Gum Jaayega, composed by Rahul Dev Burman and sung by Kishore Kumar.
Besides his frequent pairings with Sridevi and Jaya Prada during the '80s, Jeetendra's popular co-stars were Reena Roy, Neetu Singh, Hema Malini, Sulakshana Pandit, Bindiya Goswami, Moushumi Chatterjee, and Rekha.
On Television, he appeared in the TV serial Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi in the role of an old man. He was one of the judges of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa (Indian Dance Series), an Indian dance competition on Sony Entertainment Television. He was also a judge with Hema Malini of a competition called Dancing Queen.
In her authorized biography, Hema Malini claimed that they almost got married, but she backed out. He married his childhood sweetheart, Shobha Kapoor. Their daughter, Ekta Kapoor, runs Balaji Telefilms and their son Tusshar Kapoor is also an actor. Jeetendra made a brief appearance in one of his daughter's produced films Kucch To Hai, a thriller movie released in 2002, where he appeared alongside his son Tusshar.
Awards, honours and recognitions
- 1998 – Guest of Honour Award at the 18th Ujala Cinema Express Awards
- 2000 – Lifetime Achievement Award in film personalities
- 2002 – Lifetime Achievement Award at the Zee Gold Bollywood Movie Awards in New York.
- 2003 – Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2004 – "Legend of Indian Cinema" Award at Atlantic City (United States).
- 2005 – Screen Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008 – Sansui Television Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2012 – Zee Cine Award for Lifetime Achievement
- 2012 – Lions Gold Awards: Most Evergreen Romantic Hero
- 2014 - Dadasaheb Phalke Award 
- "Jeetendra Biography". filmibeat.com. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Biography reveals dream girl's love affairs". Paktribune.com. Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- "Jeetendras hand imprint tile unveiled". IBNlive. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Cinema Express awards presented". Indianexpress.com. 24 August 1998. Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- "The Hindu : Gavaskar flays 'forces' behind match-fixing". Hinduonnet.com. 11 September 2000. Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- "Bollywood News: Bollywood Movies Reviews, Hindi Movies in India, Music & Gossip". Rediff.com. Retrieved 9 May 2010.[dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Winners of Sansui Awards 2008 – RS Bollywood Online". Radiosargam.com. 30 March 2008. Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- "19th Lions Gold Awards 2013 Winners". Pinkvilla. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Actor Jitendra receives Dadasaheb Phalke award for his contribution to cinema". www.aninews.in. 1 May 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeetendra.|