Jiiva in 2009
4 January 1984
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Residence||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Occupation||Film actor, producer|
|Years active||1990, 1997, 2003–present|
|Children||1, b. 2010|
|Parent(s)||R. B. Choudary
|Relatives||Jithan Ramesh (Brother)|
Jiiva, also written Jeeva, (born Amar Choudary on 4 January 1984) is an Indian film actor, producer, singer, philanthropist, model and dancer predominantly appears in Tamil films. Son of film producer R. B. Choudary, he started his career as a child actor in his father's films in 1995.
He performed his first lead role in the 2003 romantic film Aasai Aasaiyai, before starring in Raam (2005), for which he won the Best Actor Award at the Cyprus International Film Festival. In his subsequent films, he has taken on roles of various types such as a stuntman in Dishyum (2006), a slum dweller in E (2006), a psychopath in Kattradhu Thamizh (2007) and a photojournalist in political thriller Ko (2011).
Early career: 2003–2009
Jiiva first appeared as a child artist in minuscule roles in two of his father's productions. He made his feature film debut as an actor in 2003 with Aasai Aasaiyai, and Thithikudhe (2003). His subsequent release, Ameer's mystery thriller Raam (2005) screened at the International Film Festival in Goa and later at the Cyprus International Film Festival, where he won the Best Actor award.
Jiiva next starred in Dishyum (2006). Later that year, Jiiva made his debut in Malayalam cinema with Major Ravi's war film Keerthi Chakra, which saw a dubbed release as Aran in Tamil Nadu. His final 2006 release was E. He then starred in Kattradhu Thamizh (2007), as a lower middle class post-graduate degree holder in Tamil literature, who gradually turns a psychopath, frustrated by the inequality in the social structure. Whilst the film opened to rave reviews, Jiiva's portrayal as Prabhakar was praised by critics and widely termed as the best in 2007; a Behindwoods review labelled it as "a performance of his lifetime", while Rediff wrote that he was "endearing as the young, vulnerable Prabha, [...] perfect as the ganja-smoking near-lunatic [...] and freaking brilliant as the frustrated Tamil graduate". "He was, in a nutshell, simply superb". Jiiva had grown a full length beard for the character and cited the hardships during the shoots of the film, which he considered as his most painful experience and a "torturous affair". He stated that he had to undergo therapy to "come out of the character" as it was "too emotional". Sify called the film a "commercial disaster."
He appeared in director M. Rajesh's maiden venture, the comedy film Siva Manasula Sakthi (2009). In 2010, he starred alongside Poonam again in Kacheri Arambam. Singam Puli, where played dual roles, was his first 2011 release, following which K. V. Anand's political thriller Ko (2011) released. Rediff stated that the role was a "cake-walk for Jiiva: he's had a ball with the camera, clicking shots in almost impossible situations and making sure his trademark effervescence is present at all times", while Sify said that with this performance he was "going to be a force to reckon with in Tamil cinema". His next two films Rowthiram and Vandhaan Vendraan by R. Kannan released in quick succession; both opened to mixed critical reception.
In 2012, he appeared in S. Shankar's comedy-drama Nanban which released to highly positive reviews and become a blockbuster. His next projects were Mysskin's superhero film Mugamoodi and Gautham Menon's Neethaane En Ponvasantham. Both these films turned out to be average grossers at the box office. After that, he worked on Bejoy Nambiar's David alongside Vikram which failed at the box office, despite getting positive reviews. His Next movie was the super hit movie Endrendrum Punnagai with director I. Mueenuddin Ahmed with an ensemble cast of Trisha Krishnan, Vinay Rai, Sathanam and Andrea Jeremiah. Following this film, Jiiva experienced a setback in his career. In 2014 he worked in cinematographer Ravi K. Chandran's directorial debut Yaan, which was a box office failure. Gone from the screen for one year, he had three releases in 2016, though all of his films bombed at the box office. He first starred in his 25th film Pokkiri Raja which was directed by Tamizhuku En Ondrai Azhuthavum fame Ramprakash Rayappa and was touted to be his 'comeback' film. However, the film, which released on 4 March 2016 to mixed to negative reviews from critics and was a box office failure. His next film was the long delayed Thirunaal in which he is paired with Nayantara for the second time was released in August 2016, was again a critical and commercial failure for the actor. His last release of the year was the adult romantic comedy Kavalai Vendam opposite Kajal Aggarwal directed by Deekay. Although the film was praised for the comedy part, it released to mixed reviews and it was a commercial failure at the box office.
2017 - present (comeback and success)
Jiiva was a judge on STAR Vijay's reality dance competition Jodi Number One in its third season along with Sangeetha and Aishwarya Rajinikanth. In mid-2011, he announced that he would start a film production company called Spiral Dreams with his brother Jithan Ramesh in order to promote new directors like his father.
Jiiva was born as Amar to film producer R. B. Choudary and Mahjabeen on 4 January 1984 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He is the youngest of four brothers. His eldest brother B. Suresh is a co-producer in their home banner Super Good Films, while his second brother Jeevan is an entrepreneur in the steel industry. His third brother is Jithan Ramesh, an actor in the Tamil film industry.
On 21 November 2007, Jiiva married his childhood friend Supriya in New Delhi. Supriya is a MBA graduate and an interior designer by profession. The two first met in 1994 when he was studying in a school in T Nagar. They have a son named Sparsh born in 2010.
From 1998 to 2002, he learned Mansuria Kung Fu under the supervision of R. Shekhar.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Aasai Aasaiyai||2003||Vinod||Ravi Mariya|||
|Thithikudhe||Chinnu (Venu)||Brinda Sarathy|||
|Keerthi Chakra||Havildar Jaikumar||Major Ravi||Malayalam film|||
|E||Easwaran (E)||S. P. Jananathan|||
|Thenavattu||2008||Kottaisami||V. V. Kathir|||
|Siva Manasula Sakthi||2009||Siva||Rajesh|||
|Boss Engira Bhaskaran||Shiva||Rajesh||Cameo appearance|||
|Singam Puli||2011||Ashok Kumar, Shiva||Sai Ramani|||
|Ko||Ashwin Kumar||K. V. Anand|||
|Vandhaan Vendraan||Arjun||R. Kannan|||
|Mugamoodi||Anand (Bruce Lee)||Mysskin|||
|Neethaane En Ponvasantham||Varun Krishnan||Gautham Menon||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor|||
|Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu||Train Passenger||Gautham Menon||Special appearance (Telugu film)|||
|Endrendrum Punnagai||Goutham Sridhar||Ahmed|||
|Jilla||2014||Himself||R. T. Neason||Special appearance in "Paatu Onnu" Song|||
|Yaan||Chandrasekhar||Ravi K. Chandran|||
|Inji Iduppazhagi||2015||Himself||Prakash Kovelamudi||Cameo appearance
|Pokkiri Raja||2016||Sanjeevi||Ramprakash Rayappa|||
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||Karthik Kumar||Rajesh||Cameo appearance|||
|Kavalai Vendam||Aravind Baskar||Deekay|||
|Sangili Bungili Kadhava Thorae||2017||Vasu||Ike Radha|||
- "1st Cyprus International Film Festival −2006". Cyiff.com. Archived from the original on 17 April 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2010.
- "'I am being realistic in films'". Specials.rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Interview with Jeeva". chennaionline. Archived from the original on 22 February 2010. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Know Me". Jeeva Online. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Jeeva: I risked my life for Dishyum". Rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Movie Review:Raam". Sify.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Events – Actor Jeeva Felicitated". IndiaGlitz. 31 March 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Dishoom Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 2 February 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Mohanlal disowns Aran". Imsports.rediff.com. 9 August 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Kattradhu Tamil – A Kurinji flower in Indian cinema". Behindwoods.com. 26 November 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Katrathu Thamizh review". Rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "rediff.com: Jeeva, the best Tamil actor of 2007!". Specials.rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "rediff.com: The top Tamil heroes of 2007". Specials.rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "`A path breaking film`: Jeeva". Sify.com. 20 January 2007. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "'I had to undergo therapy to come out of the character'". Specials.rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "'The whole film was too emotional for me'". Specials.rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Friday fury on Nov:30!". Sify.com. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Review: Ko is a spicy ride – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 22 April 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Movie Review:Ko-Review". Sify. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Vandhaan Vendraan Review – Tamil Movie Review by Rohit Ramachandran". Nowrunning.com. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Movie Review:Vandhan Vendraan". Sify.com. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Vandhaan Vendraan Review". IndiaGlitz. 3 November 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "A whole new look". Deccanherald. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- Jeeva's Spiral Dreams – Tamil Movie News Archived 5 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 29 August 2011.
- Events – Jeeva – Supriya Wedding Reception Archived 15 December 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. IndiaGlitz (8 December 2007). Retrieved on 29 August 2011.
- "Jeeva engages with Supriya". www.filmibeat.com.
- Jiiva-Supriya blessed with a baby boy[permanent dead link]. Entertainment.oneindia.in (18 October 2010). Retrieved on 29 August 2011.
- "Jiiva: Mugamoodi is my first real action film". Rediff. 30 August 2012.
- "The Hindu : Aasai Aasaiyai...".
- "The Hindu : A triangular love tale".
- "The Hindu : Waiting for a win".
- "With accent on a brave breed". The Hindu.
- "rediff.com: Meet Jeeva, Mohanlal's buddy in Keerthichakra".
- "Watch E for Jeeva".
- "On a commercial spree -- Pori". The Hindu.
- "Call this different?". The Hindu.
- "Rameswaram Movie Review". .behindwoods.com.
- "Thenavattu Review - Behindwoods.com - Actor Jeeva Actress Poonam Bajwa Direction V V Kathir Production ELK Productions Antony Music Srikanth Deva images tamil picture gallery images".
- "Amusing… and tepid too -- Siva Manasula Sakti". The Hindu.
- "Commercial cocktail -- Kacheri Aarambam". The Hindu.
- nikhil raghavan. "Jiiva all the way". The Hindu.
- "Review: Singam Puli works, most of the time". Rediff. 4 March 2011.
- RAGHAVAN S., 21 years, Unix System administrator, Logica PVT Ltd. "Almost picture perfect". The Hindu.
- Malathi Rangarajan. "Rowthiram - Action saga, but…". The Hindu.
- SUPRIYA KALIDOSS. "He conquers…". The Hindu.
- MALATHI RANGARAJAN. "Nanban: Celebrating friendship". The Hindu.
- Malathi Rangarajan. "Mugamoodi: Unmasked!". The Hindu.
- Karthik Subramanian. "Neethaane En Ponvasantham: An ode to Ilaiyaraaja". The Hindu.
- "'do Not Watch Nep With Too Much Expectations', Says Gautham - Neethane En Ponvasantham - Gautham Menon - Jiiva - Ilayaraja - Nani - Samantha - Tamil Movie News - Behindwoods.com".
- Subha j rao. "David: When the twain meet". The Hindu.
- Sudhish Kamath. "Endrendrum Punnagai: Needed more smiles, less drama". The Hindu.
- "Jiivas cameo in Jilla".
- Srinivasa Ramanujam. "Yearning for Yaan". The Hindu.
- "Jiiva does a cameo in Inji Iduppazhagi". The Times of India.
- Kaushik L M. "Jiiva Hansika starrer Pokkiri Raja nears the finish line". Behindwoods.
- "Jiiva Nayanthara Thirunaal movie to be released on January 14 2016 pongal day - Tamil Movie News".
- Avinash Pandian. "Jiiva and team Kavalai Vendam crank a fun-filled photo shoot for the film". Behindwoods.
- "Kamal Haasan’s assistant, Ike to direct Jiiva!". Sify.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jiiva.|