Berlin performing in 2007
|Birth name||Jeffrey Arthur Berlin|
January 17, 1953 |
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz fusion, progressive rock|
|Labels||Denon, Rock Empire, Random Act|
|Associated acts||Bill Bruford|
Jeffrey Arthur Berlin (born January 17, 1953) is an American jazz fusion bassist.
Berlin was born in Queens, New York, on January 17, 1953. He studied violin for ten years until he was 14, when he was inspired to play bass after seeing the Beatles. He then attended Berklee College of Music to study bass.
Style and appreciation
In a review for his album Low Standards, Bass Musician Magazine said, "Anytime I mention [Jeff Berlin], there seems to be a ripple in the force and the wave of Berlin supporters or antagonists come to the surface and spout-off their opinions. No matter where you stand regarding Jeff's musical philosophy, no one can reasonably deny the simple fact that Jeff seriously knows his craft and is one of the major players of our time."
- Gilbert, Mark (2002). Kernfeld, Barry, ed. The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz. 1 (2nd ed.). New York: Grove's Dictionaries Inc. p. 201. ISBN 1-56159-284-6.
- Jisi, C. Brave New Bass. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 97. ISBN 9781617745065. Retrieved 2015-06-22.
- Mulhern, Tom (1993). Bass Heroes: Styles, Stories & Secrets of 30 Great Bass Players : from the Pages of Guitar Player Magazine. Backbeat Books. p. 69. ISBN 978-0-87930-274-0. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Ake, David Andrew (2010). Jazz Matters: Sound, Place, and Time Since Bebop. University of California Press. p. 144. ISBN 978-0-520-26688-9. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Jeff Berlin's Net Worth Celebrity Net Worth
- "Low Standards: Jeff Berlin". Bass Musician Magazine.
- "Jeff Berlin: Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!". Bass Inside. September 2002. Archived from the original on 2007-03-11. Retrieved 2013-07-24.