Self-portrait photograph, 2012
Jeffrey David Berwick
November 24, 1970
|Nationality||Canada, Dominican Republic|
Berwick founded Stockhouse, a penny stock promotion and marketing site, which he later sold. He later was an investor in bitcoin, appearing publicly on Fox News and other mainstream press outlets to discuss the digital currency. He also appeared on Bloomberg to discuss Bitcoin.
Berwick is host of Anarchast, an interview-style anarcho-capitalist podcast founded in 2012.
In 2013, Berwick announced his plans to co-found the world's first bitcoin automated teller machine (ATM) in Cyprus. Business Insider called the plans "bogus" and "almost certainly nonsense." Berwick responded that the plans were legitimate.
In 2013, Berwick promoted Galt's Gulch Chile project, a libertarian enclave in the Curacaví region of Chile that did not come to fruition as envisioned. He was also part of an attempt to start a free-trade zone in Honduras.
In July 2005, Berwick's catamaran, caught in a 50 knot squall, was driven into the rocks and sank. Berwick and his partner survived by holding onto a broken surfboard.
- "Stockhouse About Us". Stockhouse. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Bitcoin Crash Coming". Fox News. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Jeff Berwick Appears on Bloomberg". Fox News. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Financial Crisis Gives Rise To New Class of Market Participant". Pr News Wire. July 15, 2009. Archived from the original on June 30, 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Anarchast YouTube Channel". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "This Story About A Bitcoin ATM Coming To Cyprus Is Almost Certainly Nonsense". Business Insider. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "The World's First Bitcoin ATM May End Up in Cash-Strapped Cyprus". Motherboard. Archived from the original on 2015-11-29. Retrieved 2015-10-30.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Farrell, Maureen. "Bitcoin ATMs coming soon". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Bitcoin ATM Founder: We Already Have Orders From 30+ Countries". Business Insider. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Steven Bodzin (March–April 2014). "Libertarians Plan to Sit Out the Coming Collapse of America…in Chile". MotherJones.
- "Atlas Mugged: How a Libertarian Paradise in Chile Fell Apart | VICE | United States". VICE. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Guthrie, Amy (2019-03-01). "Anarchy, Bitcoin, and Murder in Acapulco". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- "Catamaran That Sank In El Salvador May Not Have Been Lost At Sea". Latitude 38. July 2005.
|This biographical article about an anarchist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|