Blitz in 2007
|Education||B.A. and M.A. Johns Hopkins University|
|Occupation||film director, film producer, and screenwriter|
|Family||Andy Blitz (brother)|
Jeffrey Blitz is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter from Ridgewood, New Jersey. He was nominated for an Academy Award for his 2002 documentary, Spellbound, and won the Dramatic Directing Prize at the Sundance Film Festival for his 2007 film, Rocket Science.
Blitz was born to a Conservative Jewish family and raised in an upper-middle-class household in Ridgewood, New Jersey. His mother, a pediatrician, was an immigrant from Moisés Ville, Argentina, and his father was a research psychologist. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1990 and a master's degree in 1991 from Johns Hopkins University. In 1997, he graduated from the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts. His brother is comedy writer Andy Blitz.
Directed episodes of Ghosted
- "The Wire"
Directed episodes of Trial & Error
Directed episodes of Review
- "Cryogenics, Lightning, Not Reviewing"
- "Co-Host, Ass-Slap, Helen Keller, Forgiveness"
- "Locorito, Pet Euthanasia, Dream"
- "Conspiracy Theory"
- "Happiness, Pillow Fight, Imaginary Friend"
- "Murder, Magic 8 Ball, Procrastination"
- "Buried Alive, 6 Star Review, Public Speaking"
- "William Tell, Grant a Wish, Rowboat"
- "Catfish, Haunted House"
- "Cult, Perfect Body"
- "Falsely Accused, Sleep with Your Teacher, Little Person"
- "Curing Homosexuality, Mile High Club"
- "Brawl, Blackmail, Gloryhole"
- "Quitting; Last Day; Irish"
- "Marry; Run; Party"
- "Revenge; Getting Rich; Aching"
- "Road Rage; Orgy"
- "Best Friend; Space"
- "Celebrity; Batman"
- "Pancakes; Divorce; Pancakes"
- "Making a Sex Tape; Being a Racist; Hunting"
- "Stealing; Addiction; Prom"
Directed episodes of The Office
- Davis, Erik. "Interview: Rocket Science Director Jeffrey Blitz", Moviefone, August 10, 2007. Accessed September 20, 2011. "I also grew up in New Jersey, although a different part of New Jersey. I set it in Plainsboro, which is in Central New Jersey, and kind of close to Trenton. I grew up in Ridgewood, New Jersey, which is north of New York."
- JWeekly: "Bee-witched—Spellbound director views spelling contests as American dream story" December 12, 2003
- Jewish News of Northern California: "News go to the Oscars; Justin Hurwitz's proud Marin mom; etc." by Nate Bloom. February 27, 2017
- Notable Alumni Archived 2009-08-26 at the Wayback Machine., USC School of Cinematic Arts, Accessed March 10, 2008.