Jeff Bonwick invented and led development of the ZFS file system, which powers Oracle Corporation's ZFS storage products as well as startups including Nexenta, Delphix, Joyent, and Datto, Inc. Bonwick is also the inventor of slab allocation, which is used in many operating systems including MacOS and Linux, and the LZJB compression algorithm.
Bonwick cofounded DSSD with Mike Shapiro, now a division of EMC Corporation and serves as chief technical officer (CTO). He co-invented DSSD's system hardware architecture and Flood software stack. He developed DSSD's whole-system simulator, which enabled the team to explore hundreds of possible hardware topologies and software algorithms.
- The Slab allocator: an object-caching kernel memory allocator
- Magazines and Vmem: extending the Slab allocator to many CPUs and arbitrary resources
- Real-World Concurrency
- Jeff Bonwick's Blog on the Development of ZFS
- (Application) Method and system for storing a sparse file using fill counts
- (Application) Multiple replication levels with pooled devices
- (Application) Hierarchical file system naming
- (Application) Method and system for repairing partially damaged blocks
- (Application) Adaptive resilvering I/O scheduling
- (Application) Method and system for adaptive metadata replication
- (Application) Method and system for metadata-based resilvering
- (Application) Method and system for pruned resilvering using a dirty time log
- (Application) Automatic intent log testing
- (Application) Input/output priority inheritance
- UNLIMITED FILE SYSTEM SNAPSHOTS AND CLONES, Oracle
- Mechanism for performing polling in a system
- Method and system for allocation of file descriptors
- Automatic conversion of all-zero data storage blocks into file holes
- Method and apparatus for I/O scheduling
- Method and system for detecting and correcting data errors using data permutations
- Method and system for I/O scheduler activations
- I/O dependency graphs
- Pipelined I/O execution
- Method and apparatus for identifying tampering of data in a file system
- Method and system for data replication
- Dynamic intent log
- Method and system using checksums to repair data
- Ditto blocks
- STORAGE SYSTEM WITH SELF DESCRIBING DATA, DSSD
- METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR HASH FRAGMENT REPRESENTATION, DSSD
- Method and system for mirrored multi-dimensional raid, not granted 
- "A Conversation with Jeff Bonwick and Bill Moore". ACM Queue. Association for Computing Machinery. 5 (6): 13–19. September–October 2007. doi:10.1145/1317394.1317400. Retrieved 2010-03-21.
- "The Birth of ZFS". OpenZFS. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Sun's ZFS Creator to Quit Oracle and Join Startup". eWeek. Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- The story behind the slab allocator, Bonwick blog, Sun Microsystems, 
- Meet DSSD, Andy Bechtolsheim’s secret chip startup for big data, 2013-04-04.
- Harris, Robin. "What is DSSD Building?". StorageMojo. TechnoQWAN LLC. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Sun Storage Guru Bonwick Named 14th Sun Fellow". Oracle. Oracle Blog. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Sun Engineer Jeff Bonwick is New Sun Fellow" (Volume 112 Issue 4). System News, Inc. 26 June 2007. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Stammers, Tim. "Q&A: Jeff Bonwick, Sun's Storage CTO and Bill Moore, ZFS co-designer". Net.Work. TechNews. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "And now, page 2".
- OFFICIAL GAZETTE of the UNITED STATES PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE