Jeff Cohen (basketball)
|Born||October 6, 1939
|Died||June 23, 1978
|Listed height||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|College||William & Mary (1958–1961)|
|NBA draft||1961 / Round: 2 / Pick: 23rd overall|
|Selected by the Chicago Packers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career ABL statistics|
|Points||1,152 (11.3 ppg)|
|Rebounds||701 (6.9 rpg)|
|Assists||75 (0.7 apg)|
Jeffrey Maxwell Cohen (October 6, 1939 – June 23, 1978) was an All-American basketball player at The College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia during his senior season in 1960-61. He was selected as the 14th pick in the second round (23rd overall) of the 1961 NBA Draft by the Chicago Packers (now the Washington Wizards).
At William & Mary, Cohen played his way into the NCAA record books. He is the 9th all-time leading rebounder in the pre-1973 college basketball era, having grabbed 1,679 boards. He is one of very few men’s basketball players in NCAA history to score 2,000 points and grab 1,000 rebounds during a collegiate career. At the time of his graduation, he was only one of 10 players to ever accomplish that feat. Cohen's 2,003 career points rank third all-time at William & Mary. He was a three-time All-Southern Conference selection from 1959–61, and in 1990 he had his jersey number (#52) retired posthumously. Additionally, Jeff set a W&M single game scoring record of 49 points on February 25, 1961. He was a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity.
Despite being drafted to the NBA, Jeff was never officially signed by any team. He spent some time playing professionally in the now-defunct American Basketball League from 1961-1963. As a member of the Hawaii Chiefs, he averaged 10.8 points, 6.6 rebounds and 0.6 assists per game for the 1961-62 season. The following season, Cohen averaged 12.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists while playing for the Chicago Majors.
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball players with 2000 points and 1000 rebounds
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball career rebounding leaders
- List of people from Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Jews in Basketball. "Other All-America players included...Jeff Cohen, William and Mary, 1960-61." Accessed February 26, 2008.
- The Draft Review.com – Jeff Cohen, William & Mary. Accessed February 26, 2008.
- NCAA Men’s Career Leaders – HickokSports.com. Accessed February 26, 2008.
- 2007-08 W&M men's basketball media guide: team history. Accessed March 18, 2008.
- 2006-07 Tribe basketball. Accessed February 26, 2008.
- Alumni Spirit - wm.edu. "...and Jeff Cohen '61, both members, along with Cheek, of Sigma Nu Fraternity." Accessed February 27, 2008.
- American Basketball League Statistics. Accessed February 27, 2008.