July 11, 1967
Norwell, Massachusetts, USA
Jeffrey Corwin (born July 11, 1967) is an American animal and nature conservationist, known as host and executive producer of the Animal Planet cable channel television programs The Jeff Corwin Experience and Corwin's Quest.
Corwin was born in Norwell, Massachusetts in 1967, where he attended Norwell High School, then went on to spend his freshman year of college at the Eastern Nazarene College, in Quincy, Massachusetts. Later he attended Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater. Corwin has bachelor of science degrees in biology and anthropology. He conducted his graduate studies at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, obtaining a master of science in wildlife and fisheries conservation and doing work on bats and snakes. In 1999, Bridgewater awarded Corwin an honorary doctorate in public education.
Corwin was also certified as an Advanced Field Medical Specialist by the U.S. Army Academy of Health Sciences, Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
Corwin first experienced the tropical rain forests in 1984 in Belize. As an undergraduate, he became active in conservation of rain forests in Central and South America. He also participated in the youth action committee for the United Nations Environmental Program.
In 1993, Corwin addressed the General Assembly of the United Nations regarding the need to conserve neotropical rain forests. Corwin lectures on wildlife, ecology and conservation to audiences throughout the United States.
In 1994 Corwin served as expedition naturalist for the documentary series titled The JASON Project, led by oceanographer Bob Ballard and sponsored in part by National Geographic. From 1997–1999 Corwin hosted a show for the Disney Channel titled Going Wild with Jeff Corwin. In 2000 Corwin partnered with Animal Planet and Discovery Communications serving as host and executive producer of The Jeff Corwin Experience and Corwin's Quest. Corwin has been on expeditions to six of the seven continents—all except Antarctica.
In 2003 Corwin appeared in an episode of the crime drama CSI: Miami. In the episode he played himself, portrayed as a former classmate of Eric Delko, played by Adam Rodriguez. Titled "Death Grip", Corwin helped detectives retrieve a human foot from inside a live crocodile. In 2003 Corwin hosted a television documentary for Animal Planet titled Giant Monsters.
In the spring of 2007 Corwin began a new TV show on the Travel Channel titled Into Alaska with Jeff Corwin. Also in 2007, Corwin was sponsored by CNN to be an environment correspondent for an Anderson Cooper 360 special called "Planet in Peril," along with co-host Sanjay Gupta.
In 2009, Corwin partnered with Defenders of Wildlife to host the documentary series Feeling the Heat. In 2009 Corwin also hosted a television special for MSNBC with the same title of his book Future Earth: 100 Heartbeats. Corwin still actively works on his show, The Jeff Corwin Experience, which airs on Animal Planet Network.
In 2012, Corwin starred in a Claritin Clear commercial as himself.
In filming a segment of CNN's Planet in Peril with Anderson Cooper at Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Center near Phnom Penh, Cambodia on March 22 of 2007, Corwin was the victim of a playful elephant. This rough-play consisted of the elephant putting Corwin's elbow in its mouth and wrapping its trunk around his arm, and swinging him around. He yelled as the elephant shook its head, releasing and throwing Corwin into the shallow water in which they were standing. Corwin noted that the pain was so overwhelming that he nearly blacked out, and that his arm still does not work correctly. Corwin later posted the following summary of injuries that resulted:
|“||To this day my arm doesn't work right. We tend to look at elephants as these very kind very gentle giants, like Dumbo and Jumbo from the cartoons. But the truth is, elephants are complex mammals with a huge array of emotions, from happiness to anger to jealousy, and when I turned away, this was his way of telling me he didn't want to be ignored. The trunk of an elephant can lift a 900-pound tree limb. You do not want to be that close to one when he's having a bad moment.||”|
|“||Truth is that elephants are easily 15,000 times stronger than my meager self, and if she had wanted to, she could have done far worse than crushing a bit of ligament and muscle. Lucky for me, no bone fracture, hopefully no connective tissue torn (we'll have to wait till I get home to find out about that).||”|
He's of Hungarian and Romanian ancestry on his father's side.
- The Jeff Corwin Experience: Animal Planet 2001–2003.
- Giant Monsters: Animal Planet 2003.
- Jeff Corwin Unleashed: Discovery Kids Channel 2003.
- King of the Jungle: Animal Planet 2003–2004.
- Corwin's Quest: Animal Planet 2005.
- Into America's West: Travel Channel 2008.
- Into Alaska: Travel Channel 2007.
- Feeling the Heat: Partnered with Defenders of Wildlife 2009.
- Future Earth: 100 Heartbeats: MSNBC 2009.
- Extreme Cuisine with Jeff Corwin: Food Network 2009–10.
- Ocean Mysteries with Jeff Corwin: ABC 2011-15.
- In 2002, Corwin was named one of People Magazine´s 50 Most Beautiful People.
- In 2004, Corwin won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series for Jeff Corwin Unleashed.
- In 2005, Corwin was nominated for the same award as in the previous year.
- Animal Planet website: Biography of Jeff Corwin. Animal.discovery.com (2011-11-16). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Going Wild with Jeff Corwin (1997–1999). IMDB
- . IMDB
- Anderson Cooper 360 Blog. Cnn.com (2007-03-23). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- "Larry King interviews Jeff Corwin". cnn.com. Retrieved 2005-07-27.
- Official show page for Giant Monsters. Animal.discovery.com (2008-09-10). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Information on King of the Jungle series. Tv.com (2005-07-14). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Into America's West
- Into Alaska
- Feeling the Heat with Jeff Corwin. defenders.org
- Future Earth | msnbc.com. MSNBC. Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Extreme Cuisine with Jeff Corwin. Food Network. Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Official show page for Ocean Mysteries. Georgiaaquarium.org (2011-08-31). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Biography for Jeff Corwin. IMDB
- Jeff Corwin at the Internet Movie Database
- Jeff Corwin's Video Bloopers
- Larry King interview where Jeff talks about his relation to Dracula