Jeffrey Steven Franklin
January 21, 1955
|Residence||Beverly Hills, California|
|Occupation||Producer, screenwriter, director|
Jeffrey Steven Franklin (born January 21, 1955) is an American producer, screenwriter, and director. He is known for being the creator of the television series Full House, as well as other sitcoms, such as the spin-off Fuller House, Hangin' with Mr. Cooper and also Malcolm & Eddie.
Franklin began his television career as a writer and producer for Laverne & Shirley and Bosom Buddies. Franklin pitched his own show to ABC called "House of Comics" which featured three comics living together. ABC was looking for a family sitcom, so Franklin added children and the idea evolved into the show Full House, which ran on the ABC network from 1987 to 1995.
After Full House, Franklin created Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, starring comedian Mark Curry. Franklin departed Hanging with Mr. Cooper in September 1992. His other TV credits include both writing and production on shows such as, It's Garry Shandling's Show, and Malcolm & Eddie. He also wrote, produced and directed the first Olsen twins movie, To Grandmother's House We Go.
On April 20, 2015, Netflix announced the streaming service would pick-up thirteen episodes of Fuller House, a sequel to Full House. Netflix also announced Franklin would oversee the production along with Robert L. Boyett and Thomas L. Miller. All 13 episodes of the first season premiered on February 26, 2016. The series, which has been a major hit for Netflix has been subsequently picked up for three additional seasons since.
In 1994, Franklin bought 10050 Cielo Drive, site of the Tate murders in 1969. The French country-style home was eventually demolished and replaced by a mansion designed by architect Richard Landry. In 2014, he listed for sale another house designed by Landry in the Hollywood Hills for US$30 million.
- 1985: Just One of the Guys (co-writer [with Dennis Feldman])
- 1987: Summer School (screenwriter)
- 1999: Love Stinks (writer, director)
- 1999: Stuart Little (executive producer)
- 1979: The Bad News Bears (screenwriter)
- 1979–81: Laverne & Shirley (screenwriter)
- 1982: Bosom Buddies (producer)
- 1984: Young Hearts (movie; screenwriter)
- 1987: It's Garry Shandling's Show (producer)
- 1989: Wally and the Valentines (movie; writer, executive producer)
- 1987–92: Full House (creator; executive producer seasons 1-5)
- 1997: Head Over Heels (creator; executive producer)
- 1994–97: High Tide (co-creator)
- 1992–97: Hangin' with Mr. Cooper (creator; executive producer)
- 1996–99: Malcolm & Eddie (TV) (executive producer)
- 2010: Love That Girl! (executive producer)
- 2011: The Last Resort (movie; executive producer, writer, director)
- 2016–present: Fuller House (creator; executive producer seasons 1-4)
- l McRady, Rache (January 25, 2015). "Full House Cast Reunites For Creator Jeff Franklin's Birthday: See Bob Saget, Lori Loughlin, John Stamos, More, Plus the Cast Sings the Theme Song!". Us Weekly. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Itzkoff, Dave (February 17, 2016). "Leaving 'Full House' Was His Biggest Regret. So He Rebuilt It". The New York Times. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
Mr. Franklin, a 61-year-old writer and producer who lives in Los Angeles...
- Ramisetti, Kirthana (August 26, 2014). "'Full House' could be revived for new series featuring original cast members". New York Daily News.
- Robinson, George (December 4, 1992). ""They're just the two most special kids," says Jeff Franklin". The Southeast Missourian. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Kleid, Beth (14 September 1992). "Morning Report:Television". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Goldberg, Lesley (20 April 2015). "It's Official: 'Full House' Revival Heading to Netflix". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Serico, Chris (December 17, 2015). "First 'Fuller House' teaser gives glimpse of Netflix reboot: 'Welcome home'". Today. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- Moylan, Brian (26 February 2016). "Fuller House: Tanner family nostalgia doesn't make redundant sitcom better". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- Littleton, Cynthia (28 February 2018). "Jeff Franklin Out as Showrunner of 'Fuller House' Amid Complaints About His Behavior (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- Haldeman, Peter (January 31, 2010). "A Dream Reimagined: The Sky's the Limit in a Creative Epiphany in Beverly Hills". Architectural Digest. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Gardner, Chris (October 16, 2014). "'Full House' Creator Lists $30M Home: "If You Can't Get Laid in That Bedroom, There's Something Wrong With You"". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 10, 2016.