Jeff Gordon XS Racing
|Jeff Gordon XS Racing|
|Developer(s)||Real Sports (PC) |
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows |
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Color
Business and motorsport
Jeff Gordon XS Racing is a 1999 racing video game for the PC and Game Boy Color. The game features three time NASCAR Winston Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon. The game's Game Boy version has link cable support.
Set in the year 2012, Jeff Gordon XS Racing lets the player drive a "next-generation" stock car against 39 other drivers (four other drivers in the Game Boy version), and any damage that the car sustains will repair itself. The game has a time trial mode, where the player can practice and try to achieve their fastest lap on the track. The game has a championship mode, where the player takes part in a ten-race series. After the player finishes the first season, Gordon will appear as an opposing driver, with a higher AI than the others. The game also has sponsorships from companies like Pepsi, Fritos, and 7-Eleven.
In 1997 NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon and ASC Games announced that they were collaborating on a line of racing video games. Gordon was involved in the development of the game, giving developers feedback and tuning instructions. Plans for PlayStation and Nintendo 64 versions were cancelled.
Daniel Erickson reviewed the PC version of the game for Next Generation, rating it two stars out of five, and stated that "Gordon's #1 on the track, but this well conceived yet repetitive effort lands squarely toward the back of the pack."
IGN gave the PC version a 7.10/10, praising the presentation and gameplay, but criticized the game audio. However, IGN gave the Game Boy Color version a 5.0/10, commenting that the game doesn't have any "real flair". GameSpot gave the PC edition a 6.9/10, complimenting the support for 40 cars, but questioned the lack of multiplayer and screen resolution of 640x480.
- GameFAQs Jeff Gordon XS Racing Release Information for Game Boy Color
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing - Game Boy Color Review at IGN". Gameboy.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Video King". Harrisburg, NC: Jeff Gordon Online. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing Review". Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing Review". GameSpot.com. 1999-06-24. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Jeff Gordon Races for ASC Games". GamePro. No. 110. IDG. November 1997. p. 32.
- "Burnin' Rubber: ASC Games Signs Jeff Gordon". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 100. Ziff Davis. November 1997. p. 26.
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing". IGN. November 13, 1998. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing - PlayStation - IGN".
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing - Nintendo 64 - IGN".
- Erickson, Daniel (September 1999). "Finals". Next Generation. Vol. 2 no. 1. Imagine Media. p. 92.
- "Jeff Gordon XS Racing - PC Review at IGN". Pc.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.