|Born||June 6, 1968|
Melrose, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Occupation||General manager of the New York Rangers|
Jeff Gorton (born June 6, 1968) is the current general manager of the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Previously, he served four seasons as assistant general manager of the Rangers. Prior to becoming assistant general manager, Gorton spent three seasons with the Rangers as Assistant Director of Player Personnel after serving one season as a professional scout. Gorton was the interim general manager of the Boston Bruins during the 2005–06 season replacing Mike O'Connell who was fired on March 25, 2006.
Gorton began working for the Bruins in 1992. He worked in Boston as assistant general manager for seven seasons and served as the team's interim general manager from March 25, 2006 until July 15, 2006.
In his time as interim general manager of the Bruins, Gorton most notably ran the 2006 NHL Entry Draft which produced for the Bruins Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic and Brad Marchand. At the same draft, Gorton traded goaltender Andrew Raycroft to the Toronto Maple Leafs for goalie prospect Tuukka Rask. Raycroft was coming off a subpar season and his two-year stint in Toronto would prove disastrous, with the Leafs buying him out of the final year of his contract. Rask, meanwhile, had been selected in the first round of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by Toronto and went on to win the Vezina Trophy as the league's best goaltender in the 2013-14 season. On July 1, Gorton signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard as free agents. Chara would go on to win the Norris Trophy in 2009 as the NHL's best defenseman while under the contract signed by Gorton.
On July 15, 2006, he re-assumed his assistant general manager duties when Peter Chiarelli was hired as permanent general manager. He was dismissed, along with respected scout Daniel Doré on June 27, 2007. Gorton was immediately picked up as a Pro Scout by the Rangers.
Gorton was born and raised in Melrose, Massachusetts. He is a graduate of Bridgewater State University with a degree in physical education in 1991, and he received his master's degree from Springfield College in sport management in 1993.
- Dwyer, Michael (March 25, 2006). "Bruins dump GM Mike O'Connell". USA Today.
- The Canadian Press (Jun 27, 2007). "Bruins fire assistant GM Jeff Gorton and amateur Scote Dan Dore". The Hockey News.
- Nancy Marrapese-Burrell (June 25, 2006). "Raycroft dealt to Toronto". The Boston Globe.
- The Canadian Press (June 27, 2008). "Toronto Maple Leafs decide to buy out contract of Andrew Raycroft". NHL.
- Tucker, Cam (June 24, 2014). "Tuukka Rask wins Vezina Trophy". ProHockeyTalk.
- Shinzawa, Fluto (June 28, 2007). "Bruins dump assistant GM Gorton, scout Dore". The Boston Globe.
- "Jeff Gorton Named 11th General Manager in Franchise History". NHL.com. July 1, 2015. Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- Melrose native Rangers Assistant GM Gorton excited about playoffs
- "Jeff Gorton's Bio".
- Jeff Gorton’s trades as GM of the Rangers
- Jeff Gorton's staff profile at Elite Prospects
- Jeff Gorton’s bio on New York Rangers Official Website
| General manager of the Boston Bruins
| General manager of the New York Rangers