|Born||April 27, 1968|
|Occupation||General Manager of the New York Rangers|
Jeff Gorton is the current General Manager of the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Previously, he served four seasons as Assistant General Manager of the Rangers. Prior to becoming assistant general manager, Gorton spent three seasons with the Rangers as Assistant Director of Player Personnel after serving one season as a professional scout. Gorton was the Interim General Manager of the Boston Bruins during the 2005–06 season replacing Mike O'Connell who was fired on March 25, 2006.
Gorton was named Interim General Manager by the Bruins on March 25, 2006. On July 15, 2006, he was succeeded by Peter Chiarelli. He was dismissed, along with respected scout Daniel Doré on June 27, 2007. Gorton was immediately picked up as a Pro Scout by the Rangers.
The one transaction Gorton will likely be remembered for is the trade that sent goaltender Andrew Raycroft to the Toronto Maple Leafs at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft for goalie prospect Tuukka Rask. Raycroft was coming off a subpar season and his two-year stint in Toronto would prove disastrous, with the Leafs buying him out of the final year of his contract. Rask, meanwhile, had been selected in the first round of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by Toronto and now is a successful goaltender in the National Hockey League, winning the Vezina Trophy as the league's best goaltender in the 2013-14 season.
- Dwyer, Michael (March 25, 2006). "Bruins dump GM Mike O'Connell". USA Today.
- "Jeff Gorton's Bio".
- Shinzawa, Fluto (June 28, 2007). "Bruins dump assistant GM Gorton, scout Dore". The Boston Globe.
- Nancy Marrapese-Burrell (June 25, 2006). "Raycroft dealt to Toronto". The Boston Globe.
- The Canadian Press (June 27, 2008). "Toronto Maple Leafs decide to buy out contract of Andrew Raycroft". NHL.
- Tucker, Cam (June 24, 2014). "Tuukka Rask wins Vezina Trophy". ProHockeyTalk.
- Calamia, Matt (July 1, 2015). "Jeff Gorton Named 11th General Manager in Franchise History". Blueshirts United.
- Jeff Gorton’s trades as GM of the Rangers
- Jeff Gorton's staff profile at Elite Prospects
- Jeff Gorton’s bio on New York Rangers Official Website
|General Manager of the Boston Bruins
|General Manager of the New York Rangers
|This United States biographical article relating to ice hockey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|