Jefferson Y. "Jeff" Han (born 1975) is a computer scientist who worked for New York University's (NYU) Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences until 2006. He is one of the main developers of "multi-touch sensing", which unlike older touch-screen interfaces is able to recognize multiple points of contact.
He presented his multi-touch sensing work in February 2006 at the TED (Technology Entertainment Design) Conference in Monterey, California. TED released the video online 6 months later and it spread quickly on YouTube.
Han founded a company called Perceptive Pixel to develop his touch screen technology further, and he has already shipped touch screens to parts of the military. Han's technology has been featured most notably as the "Magic Wall" on CNN's Election Center coverage. Han's company was acquired by Microsoft in 2012, where he became Partner General Manager of Perceptive Pixel (later Surface Hub). Han left Microsoft in late 2015, shortly before Surface Hub's launch.
He is the son of middle-class Korean immigrants who emigrated to America in the 1970s.
Han graduated from The Dalton School in New York in 1993 and studied computer science and electrical engineering for three years at Cornell University before leaving to join a start-up company to commercialize the CU-SeeMe video-conferencing software that he helped develop while an undergraduate at Cornell.
Han was named to Time magazine's 2008 listing of the "100 Most Influential People in The World".
- on YouTube
- Can't Touch This Fast Company, February 2007
- "CNN clarifies complex caucus cavalcade with new 'Magic Wall'". BroadcastEngineering. January 4, 2008. Archived from the original on February 21, 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
- "Microsoft Surface Hub chief, Holoportation researchers leave to form stealth startup". Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- "Jeff Han – The 2008 TIME 100 – TIME". Time. 2009-04-30. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Jeff Han's Multitouch Demo (II) (2007Mar21)
- Jeff Han: A year later (Wired Magazine)
- Jeff Han demonstrating multi-touch interface on big screen
- Jeff Han's 10 min Talk at TED Conference (2006) Monterey, CA
- Jeff Han homepage at NYU
- Specific Multi-Touch Sensing work – includes video
- Transcript of a presentation delivered at ETech on 7 March 2006
- Presentation over YouTube
- Perceptive Pixel
- The Untold Story of Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Jeff Han at TED
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|