Jeff Hughes (footballer)
- For the American soccer player, see Jeff Hughes (soccer).
Hughes playing for Fleetwood Town in 2013
|Full name||Jeffrey Edward Hughes|
|Date of birth||29 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Larne, Northern Ireland|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2007–2008||→ Peterborough United (loan)||7||(1)|
|2008||→ Bristol Rovers (loan)||0||(0)|
|2016||→ Tranmere Rovers (loan)||18||(1)|
|2006||Northern Ireland U21||7||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11:30 (UTC) 2 January 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 19:01, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
Jeffrey Edward Hughes (born 29 May 1985) is a Northern Irish footballer who plays as a left sided midfielder. He has also played internationally for Northern Ireland, making his debut during their summer tour of the United States of America. Hughes currently plays for Tranmere Rovers.
Hughes played for the Ballymena United academy, before transferring to the academy at hometown club Larne. He went on to make his Irish League debut for The Harbour Rats, before moving to The Football League in England to join Lincoln City in League Two.
He was originally deployed in the left-back position for Larne, however under John Schofield at Lincoln, he has proven that he is equally adept at playing a more attacking role as a wing-back and a winger on the left side.
Despite Hughes' three goals over two legs against Bristol Rovers, Lincoln experienced their fourth-successive play-off defeat in 2007, and Hughes moved to Crystal Palace of The Championship, reaching his highest level yet. However he struggled at Selhurst Park. He went on a two-month loan to Peterborough United in November 2007, scoring once against Bradford City. In the January transfer window Posh tried to agree terms with Hughes to sign him, but failed to do so, and thus he returned to Palace.
At the end of March, Bristol Rovers signed Hughes on a loan deal until the end of the season, but unfortunately for all parties he was injured on his reserve team debut, after giving The Pirates the lead. He returned to Palace for treatment, before signing permanently for Rovers in the summer.
On 18 September 2010 Hughes scored his first professional hat-trick away to Dagenham and Redbridge, a game which Rovers won 3–0.
He was one of seventeen players released by the team in May 2011.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 974. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Jeff Hughes". NIFG. 5 January 2007. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers 2-1 Lincoln City". BBC. 12 May 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Lincoln City 3-5 Bristol Rovers". BBC. 17 May 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Peterborough 2–1 Bradford". BBC. 22 December 2007. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Midfielder Jeff Hughes heads Bristol Rovers exodus". BBC Sport. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Hughes Agrees Deal". Notts County F.C. 28 June 2011. Archived from the original on 1 April 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Hughes opts for Highbury". Fleetwood Town FC. 22 May 2013.
- "Jeff Hughes joins U's". Cambridge United. 14 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeff Hughes (footballer).|