Jeff Nelson (umpire)
|Born: June 1, 1965|
Saint Paul, Minnesota
|May 9, 1997|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jeffrey Nelson (born on June 1, 1965) is an American professional baseball umpire in Major League Baseball (MLB), who was named to the National League (NL) staff prior to the 1999 season, and has worked throughout both major leagues since 2000.
Nelson was named as the Top Prospect at the Joe Brinkman Umpiring School in 1989.
While in the minor leagues, Nelson was the chief rules instructor at the former Brinkman-Froemming umpire school in Cocoa, Florida from 1997 until the school's closing in 1998. He continues to teach at umpire clinics in the off-season. Additionally, Nelson is currently the secretary/treasurer of the major league umpires' union, the Major League Baseball Umpires Association.
During his career, Nelson has received several postseason assignments, including the 2005 World Series, 2009 World Series, 2014 World Series and the 2018 World Series. He also worked the League Championship Series in 2002, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2019 and 2020; and the Division Series in 2000, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2017 and 2018. Nelson has also umpired in the 2006 and 2014 MLB All-Star Games.
Nelson was the plate umpire for a Detroit Tigers–Kansas City Royals game on September 27, 2012, when Tigers pitcher Doug Fister set an American League record by striking out nine consecutive batters.
During Game 2 of the 2012 American League Championship Series, Nelson ejected New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi for arguing a missed call at second base after Nelson incorrectly ruled Detroit Tigers infielder Omar Infante was safe. He later acknowledged his safe call was wrong.
Nelson worked home plate for Game 7 of the 2014 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City.
While working home plate during Game 3 of the 2019 American League Championship Series, Nelson took two foul balls off his mask and was forced to leave the game after the fourth inning due to suffering a concussion. He would miss the remainder of the series and was replaced by Mike Everitt.
- Zambrano masters Astros en route to first no-hitter for Cubs in 36 years ESPN.com. Retrieved July 24, 2012
- Doug Fister gets AL-record 9 straight K's; Tigers keep Central lead. ESPN.com. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- Anibal Sanchez silences Yanks as Tigers take 2-0 lead. ESPN.com. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- Umpires for Wild Card Games, Division Series announced Darling, Kellogg Will Serve As Crew Chiefs for Wild Card Games; Davis, DeMuth, Gorman and West Assigned to Lead Division Series Crews. MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Baltimore Orioles vs. Seattle Mariners - Box Score - August 12, 2015. "ESPN.com." Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- Bradford Doolittle (October 15, 2019). "Plate umpire Jeff Nelson leaves ALCS Game 3 after suffering concussion". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 15, 2019.