In 1987 Preiss began working with Bruce Weber, the photographer, as Director of Photography on a series of short films and features. This included the documentary features Broken Noses and Let's Get Lost, the latter, on the jazz legend Chet Baker, winning the Venice Film Festival Critics Award and an Academy Award nomination for best documentary.
Preiss collaborated for three years with Weber, then expanded his career to include directing television commercials and music videos (including music video clips for Iggy Pop, Malcolm McLaren, REM, B52s, Mariah Carey and commercials for Nike, L.L. Bean, Monster.com, among others). Preiss directed an advertisement produced by Deutsch/LA for Zillow, the real estate database company.
In May 2005, Preiss co-founded Orchard, a co-operative experimental exhibition space, where he collaborated on a series of films with Andrea Fraser, Nicolás Guagnini, Christian Philipp Müller, Josiah McElheny, Moyra Davey and Anthony McCall. Works from this series have joined collections, including the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid and the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Preiss later became a founding partner of Epoch Media Group, where he executive produced the motion picture "Gigantic". In 2013 Epoch also produced Low Down, a biopic based on the life of jazz pianist Joe Albany, along with producers Ron Yerxa, Albert Berger, and Burton Ritchie. It was released in 2014. Preiss is now a board member at Light Industry, a venue for film and electronic art in Brooklyn, New York.
He currently resides in New York.
- Broken Noses, New York Times Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Broken_Noses" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Let's Get Lost Review, NY Times 1989.
- Festival mentions for Let's Get Lost, 1989.
- Academy Award Nomination, amc movie guide.
- Mariah Carey Videography, additional text.
- Director's Reel, Epoch Films.
- L.L. Bean "Journey", AdWeek.
- Rise and Shine with Monster.com, AdWeek.
- Todd Bishop. "Zillow tugs at heartstrings in new ad, to debut during Oscars". GeekWire. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- "Deutsch LA Brings It All Back Home for Zillow". Adweek. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Orchard Gallery Page,.
- Orchard Exhibition in Berlin
- Adweek article on Jeff Preiss at Epoch Media Group, additional text.
- Gigantic Credits,
- "'Low Down' just had to get made". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- westsideschl (January 27, 2015). "Low Down (2014)". IMDb. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Light Industry, additional text.
- "Epoch Films – Jeff Preiss". Epoch Films. Retrieved February 25, 2011.
- "New York Times, July 8, 2004 - HOUSE PROUD; Built Just as the Sculptor Dreamed It, by Claudia Steinberg".
- "R.H. Quaytman - Magazine - Art in America". Art in America. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- "R.H. Quaytman uses Op Art to tell a story at the Institute of Contemporary Art - The Boston Globe". The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 13, 2015.