This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jeff Valdez (born January 31, 1956) is an American producer, writer, studio executive and entrepreneur who created the category of Latino Programming in English. The films and TV shows written, directed and produced by Valdez have been syndicated in more than 35 countries.
In 2003, Valdez founded a new nationwide English language cable channel targeting Latinos called Sí TV, which reached 90 million homes nationwide.
In 2007 Valdez joined the board of directors of Maya Entertainment, whose focus was on Latino-themed films mostly in English.
Valdez Productions, Inc.
In 1993, Valdez moved to Los Angeles, and created the show "Comedy Compadres", for KTLA, channel 5. He then wrote scripts, produced and directed shows and films for Disney (My Favorite Mayan), Showtime (Latino Laugh Festival), NBC (The Valdez's), Galavisión (Cafe Ole, Funny is Funny), and Nickelodeon (The Brothers García).
In 2003, and based on the potential of this English-speaking market of the Latino population, Valdez paired with Bruce Barshop, a venture capitalist and founded Sí TV, the first Latino national channel for English-speaking Latinos in the United States. Sí TV made history when it became the leading producer of Latino themed English-language cable programming network, reaching 22 million homes in the first 3 years. After launching the channel, Valdez became the CEO of the channel for the first 2 years, and produced the original programming of Sí TV. During those first two years, sixty-five major advertisers from Fortune 500 companies became clients of Sí TV.After Valdez created and developed Sí TV, NBC created the national TV channel MUN2, and MTV created MTV Tres, both of them targeting English-speaking American Latinos nationwide. Valdez remained Chairman of the Board of Sí TV until 2009.
Que Pasa Corp
In 2007 Valdez was named Chairman of Quepasa Corp./Quepasa.com (NASDAQ-QPSA) a bi-lingual social network aimed at US and Latin American markets. Quepasa.com is a global social community for the Latino audience. It creates a social web of new friends, games, contests, flirting, pictures, communities, video, and much more. Valdez contributed to QuePasa's recovery in that period with an overall re-branding and creative vision. He also helped with a digital product called "Papacito", which increased the reach of the social network.
From 2007 to 2011 Maya was the first and only Latino Global Film Distribution Company. The company produced, owned and distributed films and content, primarily in English for theatrical release, as well as syndication. Maya's films were carried in Video On Demand. PaperView, and venues like Wal-Mart, Target, Blockbuster, Netflix, Redbox, Amazon, and many others.
Max 360 Entertainment
From 2011 to 2014, Valdez headed up Max 360 Entertainment, which was a group of investors pursuing a variety of Television projects.
Production deal with LAMF
In 2015 Valdez teamed up with financier Jeffrey Soros to produce a slate of Latino comedy films that are aimed at the New Mainstream Latino audience. Valdez is also currently working on an OTT project that is in English and Spanish that intends to mass customize the OTT experience to the New Mainstream audience.
New Cadence Productions
Early in 2018, Jeff Valdez and Sol Trujillo co-founded New Cadence Productions, a premiere U.S. television and film content creation studio, with the intention of promoting Latinos and their role in the media. New Cadence Productions has since partnered with Warner Media on a multi-year first look deal. The studio's first project is the 2020 HA Comedy Festival, to be followed by a 10 episode sitcom soon to be announced.
Awards and recognitions
Valdez has received a number of accolades from the industry such as:
- "Top 50 People Who Matter" by CNN
- "Top 50 Minorities in Cable" by Multichannel News
- "50 People to Watch" by Los Angeles Times
- "Top 10 Players in the U.S. Hispanic Media Market" by Ad Age
- "Top 50 Marketers in America" by Advertising Age
- Quasar Award, for his groundbreaking Sí TV
- Racial Harmony Award, from the Center for Ethnic Understanding
- ALMA Award, from National Council of La Raza
Valdez was appointed by US President Bill Clinton to the Advisory Committee on the Arts of the Kennedy Center (Washington DC, 1996–2000.) He has been a member of the Museum of the Moving Image Board of Directors (New York, 2000–2006), and of The Los Angeles School For The Performing Arts Board of Advisers (2006-2008.)
- HA Comedy Festival: The Art of Comedy
- Keeping Up With the Valdezzeszes
- Without Men || Feature Film || Executive producer || 2010
- Unacceptable Behavior || TV Series || Executive producer || 2006
- Urban Jungle 2 || TV Series || Executive producer, Writer || 2005
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner || TV Series || Executive producer || 2004
- Across the Hall || TV Series || Executive producer || 2004
- The Drop || TV Series || Executive producer || 2004
- The Rub || TV Series || Executive producer || 2004
- Latino Laugh Festival: The Show || TV Series || Executive producer || 2004
- Urban Jungle || TV Series || Writer, Executive Producer || 2004
- The Brothers García: Mysteries of the Maya || TV Movie || Writer, Director || 2003
- The Brothers García || TV Series || Co-Creator, Executive Producer, Writer, Director || 2000-2004
- Café Ole' with Giselle Fernandez || TV Series || Writer, Producer || 1997
- Latino Laugh Festival || TV Special || Producer || 1997, 1998, 1999
- Funny is Funny || TV Series || Writer, Executive producer || 1997
- Comedy Compadres || TV Series || Writer, Executive Producer || 1994
- Almost Live From The Comedy Corner || TV Comedy Show || Writer, Producer, Director || 1992
- Perry Mason: The Case of the Ruthless Reporter || TV Movie || Actor || 1991
- Latino Donor Collaborative: Jeff Valdez
- Maya Entertainment; Our Team: Jeff Valdez
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-27. Retrieved 2011-06-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-21. Retrieved 2011-06-20. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Latino Donor Collaborative: Jeff Valdez
- Dish Satellite Network To Premiere Si TV; Business Wire; Jan. 27, 2003
- "WarnerMedia Entertainment Forges Content Partnership with New Cadence Productions" Web. 26 September 2019. <https://pressroom.warnermediagroup.com/us/media-release/warnermedia/warnermedia-entertainment-forges-content-partnership-new-cadence-productions>
- Jeff Valdez: "There Are Opportunities in out of Home Marketing and in Content" - Portada." Hispanic Marketing and Advertising News and Resources - Portada. Web. 08 June 2011. Portada Online; June 8, 2011.
- Jeff Valdez - IMDb." The Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Web. 8 June 2011. <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0883656/>.
- Jeff Valdez Filmography." Movie Tickets & Movie Times - Fandango.com. Web. 08 June 2011. <http://www.fandango.com/jeffvaldez/filmography/p532899>.
- QuePasa Corporation Appoints Jeff Valdez as Chairman of the Board | HispanicTips." HispanicTips | The Ultimate Tool for Understanding & Appreciating Hispanics & Latinos :: Empower Yourself. Web. 8 June 2011. <http://www.hispanictips.com/2008/01/24/quepasa-corporation-appoints-jeff-valdez-chairman-board/>.
- Jeff Valdez." MoviesPlanet - Watch Movies Online, TV Shows and Download Free Movies. Web. 8 June 2011. <https://web.archive.org/web/20110929103436/http://www.moviesplanet.com/names/195659/jeff-valdez>
- Maya Entertainment Maya Entertainment; Our Team: Jeff Valdez>.