Jeff Wootton by Jill Furmanovsky
|Birth name||Jeffrey Wootton|
12 May 1987 |
|Genres||alternative rock, experimental music, ambient|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, guitarist songwriter|
|Instruments||Guitar, Vocals, bass guitar|
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
The Black Marquee
Gibson Les Paul
Jeffrey Wootton (born 12 May 1987) is an English guitarist and songwriter from Manchester. He has played lead guitar with Damon Albarn in Gorillaz alongside Mick Jones and Paul Simonon of The Clash, played lead guitar with Damon Albarn on his solo project. and is currently working on his first album.
On 24 November 2014, Jeff along with composer Andre de Ridder, Nick Zinner, Brian Eno and Damon Albarn released a 41-minute African version of Terry Riley's iconic 1964 minimalist piece In C with local Mali musicians through Transgressive Records. It was featured in Rolling Stone's '20 Best Avant Albums of 2014' 
Wootton joined Gorillaz as their lead guitarist in 2010. Gorillaz kicked off their first ever world tour to rave reviews with performances including headlining Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, Glastonbury and Roskilde with guest performances by Lou Reed, Mos Def, Bobby Womack, Mark E. Smith, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon, Snoop Dogg, De La Soul and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. They were the first British band to play a gig in Damascus, Syria 
After the departure of Noel Gallagher of Oasis, At the age of 22, Wootton was recruited by Liam Gallagher to play in Beady Eye. He joined Beady Eye on stage for the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony, performing "Wonderwall" with the band. In 2013 after a world tour and playing on their second album BE, he left to pursue his own musical project.
Wootton performed with Damon Albarn again in early 2013 as Electric Wave Bureau at Hackney Picturehouse.
In 2013 Wootton made a trip to Bamako, Mali in West Africa with Damon Albarn, Brian Eno, Nick Zinner and other musicians to record an album as part of Africa Express collective. Maison Des Jeunes was released on 9 December 2013.
In 2014 he joined Damon Albarn in The Heavy Seas. On 15–16 November 2014, Damon Albarn & The Heavy Seas' performances at The Royal Albert Hall were recorded to be edited into a live album. The project was released as a two-disc album called Live at the De De De Der.
In 2015 he appeared in Noel Gallagher's music video Ballad of the Mighty I which was released on 12 January 2015, and joined him for a TV performance of the song Riverman on the Channel 4 programme Chatty Man.
In June 2015 Jeff supported the British rock band Blur at three dates including Glasgow Barrowland’s and Blackpool Empress Ballroom.
Wootton’s first single ‘The Eternal’ was officially released on Nov 6th 2015 
He started the website Sympathy For Vinyl as a platform to release his more experimental compositions and collaborations.
- "Damon Albarn recruits Liam Gallagher's bandmember for Gorillaz". 25 March 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Damon Albarn to release first solo LP on Parlophone". 20 Jan 2014. Retrieved 20 Jan 2014.
- "Watch Damon Albarn and Brian Eno’s 40-minute tribute to Terry Riley’s ‘In C’ with Africa Express". 26 Jan 2015. Retrieved 26 Jan 2015.
- "Nick Zinner’s 41 Strings comes to UK". 19 June 2014. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Damon Albarn In Mali on Africa Express mission to bring music back". 21 Oct 2013. Retrieved 26 Oct 2013.
- "Damon Albarn, Brian Eno, Nick Zinner Cover Terry Riley's 'In C' with Africa Express". 19 Nov 2014. Retrieved 19 Nov 2014.
- "20 Best Avant Albums of 2014". 21 Dec 2014. Retrieved 26 Dec 2014.
- "Gorillaz become first British band to perform in Damascus". 26 July 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Live4ever’s Interview With Rock’s Greatest Frontman ‘Liam Gallagher’ – Part II". 28 March 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Gorillaz Star Is Member Of Liam Gallagher's New Band!". 25 March 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Liam Gallagher unveils new Beady Eye track at London club This Feeling". 11 March 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Damon Albarn Gigography 2013". 4 March 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Africa Express: Maison des Jeunes – review". 8 Dec 2013. Retrieved 8 Dec 2013.
- "Damon Albarn names solo band". 28 Feb 2014. Retrieved 4 Mar 2014.
- "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Ballad Of The Mighty I - YouTube". 12 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Become Zen With Jeff Wootton's New Single "The Eternal"". 26 Aug 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Jeff Wootton – The Eternal - Q Magazine Track of the Day". 26 Aug 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "20 Tracks You Need To Hear This Week". 26 Aug 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Damon Albarn In Mali on Africa Express mission to bring music back". 6 Nov 2015. Retrieved 8 Nov 2015.