|• Total||3.3 sq mi (9 km2)|
|• Land||2.7 sq mi (7 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (2 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|• Density||3,400/sq mi (1,300/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Jefferson is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, United States, on the north side (referred to as the "East Bank") of the Mississippi River. Jefferson is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 11,193 at the 2010 census. Within Jefferson are areas known as Old Jefferson, Shrewsbury, and Jefferson Heights.
Jefferson is located in northern Jefferson Parish at  It is bordered to the north by Metairie, to the west by Elmwood, to the south, across the Mississippi River, by Bridge City, and to the east by the city of New Orleans in Orleans Parish. U.S. Route 90 (Jefferson Highway) runs through the center of the community, leading east 6 miles (10 km) to downtown New Orleans.(29.964132, -90.157170).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Jefferson CDP has a total area of 3.3 square miles (8.5 km2), of which 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2) are land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2), or 17.46%, are water. The western part of Jefferson's Census area was lost to Elmwood during the 2000 census.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,843 people, 5,400 households, and 2,878 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,294.0 people per square mile (1,656.7/km²). There were 5,816 housing units at an average density of 2,108.7 per square mile (813.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 71.85% White, 23.47% African American, 0.26% Native American, 1.50% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.65% from other races, and 1.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.07% of the population.
There were 5,400 households out of which 22.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 32.8% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.7% were non-families. 39.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.11 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 18.8% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $32,106, and the median income for a family was $40,408. Males had a median income of $32,256 versus $26,673 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,245. About 10.4% of families and 14.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.3% of those under age 18 and 9.3% of those age 65 or over.
Most residents are zoned to Jefferson Elementary School in Jefferson, while some are zoned to Dolhonde Elementary in Metairie. All students are zoned to Riverdale Middle School in Jefferson, and Riverdale High School in Jefferson. In regards to the advanced studies academies, students are zoned to Metairie Academy.
Jefferson Parish Library operates the Rosedale Library in Jefferson. A Greek revival house named "Rosedale," established in 1838, used to occupy the present day site of the library. In 1978 two fires destroyed the house, which was 140 years old. The library was established in 1986.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Jefferson, Louisiana.|
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Jefferson CDP, Louisiana". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 3, 2018.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Census area returned as Jefferson Heights in 1960 & 1970.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Jefferson CDP, LA" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Elementary School Districts 2012-2013 East Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Middle School Districts 2012-2013 East Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana" (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "High School Districts 2012-2013 East Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana." (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "East Bank Advanced Studies Attendance Zones" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Rosedale Library." Jefferson Parish Library. Retrieved on September 29, 2010.