Jefferson College (Missouri)
|Established||April 2, 1963|
|President||Dr. Raymond Cummiskey|
|Students||5,223 (Fall 2013)|
|Address||1000 Viking Drive, Hillsboro, MO 63050|
|Colors||Red, White, and Columbia Blue|
|Mascot||Viktor Emilio Viking|
Jefferson College is a community college located in Jefferson County, Missouri, in the city of Hillsboro. As of Fall 2013, Jefferson College enrollment includes 5,523 full and part-time college credit students. 4,313 students are enrolled in continuing education classes as of 2011.
- 1 History
- 2 Accreditation
- 3 Campus Locations
- 4 Academics
- 5 Jefferson College Area Technical School
- 6 Athletics
- 7 Jefferson College Foundation
- 8 Student Life
- 9 Library
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The history of Jefferson College began in the spring of 1961 with the passage of Senate Bill Number Seven, presented by Senator Earl Blackwell of Hillsboro, made possible the formation and financing of public junior colleges in Missouri. Several Jefferson County citizens began to recognize the need for a public junior college in their community, they met, organized and petitioned the State Board of Education for the formation of a Junior College District. The Community College District of Jefferson County was voted into existence on April 2, 1963.
Classes were first held at Hillsboro High School in 1964 until the following year (1965) when the college moved to its present 400+ acre campus on Highway 21 near Hillsboro. Jefferson College became the second junior college district in Missouri to be approved.
Jefferson College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, A Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
It includes the following features: the Library-Administration Building, Career & Technical Education Building, Fine Arts Building, Technology Center (established 1986), Arts and Sciences Building, Arts and Sciences II, Field House, Athletic Fields, Student Center, Area Technical School, and Student Housing [Viking Woods]. JC Online, was formally established in 2010 as the college’s virtual campus, providing a full range of classes and e-services to students who prefer this highly popular method of instruction.
Jefferson College Arnold
Jefferson College Arnold was opened in 2007 to expand educational services to those in northern Jefferson County. The 40,000 square feet (3,700 m2) facility is located at 1687 Missouri State Road behind the Arnold Library and Recreation Center.
Jefferson College Imperial
Jefferson College Imperial opened in 2010. The 20,000 square feet (1,900 m2) building is located at 4400 Jeffco Boulevard and is home to the Law Enforcement Academy, EMT-Paramedic and Certified Nurse Assistant programs.
Jefferson Community College offers degree programs in the following programs.
- Associate of Arts Degree: The Associate of Arts A.A. degree is a program of general studies designed to transfer to four-year institutions. Many subjects are offered.
- Associate of Arts in Teaching Degree: The A.A.T. degree is designed to transfer into a four-year Teacher Education program for those who want to be certified to teach early childhood, elementary, middle school, or secondary education.
- Associate of Science Degree - Pre-Engineering: The A.S. degree is designed to transfer to an engineering institution, specifically the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree: The A.A.S. degree includes a variety of career and technical education programs not generally designed for transfer. The A.A.S. degree generally provides the option to pursue either a degree or a certificate.
Jefferson College Area Technical School
The Area Technical School provides career programs to help area high school students develop:
- Occupational Skills necessary to secure initial employment in the field after graduation from high school
- A Background of related information including both theory and practice necessary for a field of choice
- Personal and Social Traits necessary for initial employment
- Leadership Skills to help students learn the importance of leadership in the workplace.
Multiple programs are available at the Area Technical School in careers such as Automotive Technology, Business Management, Early Childhood/Elementary Education, Culinary Arts, Health Services Assistant, Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning, Metal Fabrication, Residential Carpentry, Welding Technology, and Fire Science/EMT.
Jefferson College is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I, NJCAA Region XVI and the Midwest Community College Athletic Conference (MCCAC). The college fields teams in men's baseball and soccer, and women’s basketball, softball and volleyball. The teams are known as the Vikings.
Jefferson College Foundation
The mission of the Jefferson College Foundation is to support the growth and development of Jefferson College in ways that are beneficial to its students, faculty, staff and campus facilities. Founded in 1991, the Foundation continues to build relationships within the community, and making a positive difference in the lives of others through learning and cultural enrichment. The Foundation supports the educational opportunities at Jefferson College by hosting fun and exciting events. Proceeds from the events help provide scholarships for talented and deserving students in need of assistance. The Foundation also provides quality entertainment for members of the community and their families.
Viktor Emilio Viking is the Mascot of Jefferson College.
Jefferson College Student Newspaper The Harbinger is prepared by student journalists of Jefferson College and is published during the academic year. The Harbinger is a class project of Journalism I -- IV classes at Jefferson College, and has been the student newspaper of the college since 1964.
Jefferson College Television (J.C.T.V.) provides educational opportunities in broadcast journalism, under the direction of J.C.T.V. station manager.
The Office of Student Development includes a variety of clubs and organizations on campus that provide students the opportunity to participate as members and/or take leadership roles. In addition, students are made aware of volunteer opportunities available within the community.
The Jefferson College Student Senate is a group of 16 students who are elected to represent the students of Jefferson College. Each Senator serves a minimum of 2 hours each week in the Senate office in the Student Center.
Phi Theta Kappa
The Theta Chapter of Jefferson College is the established chapter for Jefferson College graduates.
Active Minds at Jefferson College
Active Minds is an organization working to utilize the student voice to change the conversation about mental health on college campuses.
Baptist Campus Ministries
Organization for any students interested in Christian fellowship, discussion, and service.
Jefferson College Psychology Club
A club for students who have an interest in the field of psychology.
Legion of Gamers
The most popular club at Jefferson College, dedicated to students who are gamers.
The Jefferson College Library has a book collection of over 70,000 volumes. The Library's collection includes print perioicals, best sellers, graphic novels, DVDs, Music CDs, eBooks and audiobooks. The Library is also home to the Jefferson County History Center, which serves as an archive for Jefferson County. The History Center is used for genealogical research by residents of Jefferson County, Missouri. Jefferson College Library serves as a selective federal depository for Missouri's Third Congressional District through its participation in the Federal Depository Library Program. Many government publications are available in the Library in either a paper or an electronic format.
- "History of Jefferson College | jeffco.edu". www.jeffco.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "Key Events in the History of Jefferson College | jeffco.edu". www.jeffco.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "Ward Map" (Archive). City of Hillsboro. Retrieved on June 14, 2014.
- "Locations" (Archive). Jefferson College. Retrieved on June 14, 2014.
- "Jefferson College Quick Reference Facts" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on May 21, 2014. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "Jefferson College Athletics".
- "Jefferson College Foundation".
- "Student Organizations | jeffco.edu". www.jeffco.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "Jefferson County History Center". Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Jefferson College Library :Federal Depsitory Library". Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Federal Depository Library Program". Retrieved 17 November 2011.