Farfán with PSV
|Full name||Jefferson Agustín Farfán Guadalupe|
|Date of birth||26 October 1984|
|Place of birth||Lima, Peru|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Forward / Winger|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 May 2015.
Jefferson Agustín Farfán Guadalupe (Peruvian Coast Spanish pronunciation: [ˈɟef.feɾ.sɤn ˈfaɾ.fahn], Spanish pronunciation: [ˈʝeferson farˈfan]; born 26 October 1984) is a Peruvian professional footballer who mainly plays as a forward or winger for Al Jazira Club in the UAE and the Peruvian national football team.
Farfán began his professional career with Alianza Lima of Peru, with whom he signed in 2001. Although he made some appearances at first-team in 2001, Farfán only began to break through in 2002, becoming an impact player and helping Alianza win the Peruvian championship in 2003.
In his final season with the club in 2004, Farfán scored 14 goals, helping the club to another Peruvian championship. Following that season he was purchased by Dutch club PSV Eindhoven after being scouted by Guus Hiddink, for a reported 2 million Euro transfer fee.
On 5 June 2008, it was reported that PSV had reached an agreement with German side Schalke 04 over the transfer of Farfán for around €10 million. On 10 June 2008, Schalke 04 officially confirmed the transfer of Farfán on a four-year contract.
On 28 April 2012, Schalke announced that Farfán had signed a contract extension, which would keep him at S04 until 30 June 2016.
On 20 July 2015, after seven years at the club, Schalke confirmed that Farfán had joined Al Jazira Club for a reported fee of €6 million on a three-year deal, where he could earn up to €10 million a year.
Farfán is an important player for the Peruvian national team. Since making his debut for the side in February 2003, he has already gained more than 60 caps and is tied for eighth on the nation's career goalscoring list.
Farfán ended the South American 2006 World Cup qualifiers as the second top scorer, with seven goals.
He was suspended for 18 months from representing the national football team of Peru. But on 3 July 2008, after an investigation and a review of the facts, the suspension was changed to three months (from the date of appeal in April 2008) and $10,000. Farfan scored the winning goal in the World Cup qualifier at home to Chile on 23 March 2013.
|Peru national football team|
|Farfán – goals for Peru|
|1.||23 February 2003||Lima, Peru||Haiti||5–1||Win||Friendly|
|2.||24 July 2003||Lima, Peru||Uruguay||3–4||Loss||Friendly|
|3.||24 July 2003||Lima, Peru||Uruguay||3–4||Loss||Friendly|
|4.||6 September 2003||Lima, Peru||Paraguay||4–1||Win||2006 World Cup qualification|
|5.||1 June 2004||Montevideo, Uruguay||Uruguay||1–3||Win||2006 World Cup qualification|
|6.||9 July 2004||Lima, Peru||Venezuela||3–1||Win||2004 Copa America|
|7.||17 November 2004||Lima, Peru||Chile||2–1||Win||2006 World Cup qualification|
|8.||30 March 2005||Lima, Peru||Ecuador||2–2||Draw||2006 World Cup qualification|
|9.||3 September 2005||Maracaibo, Venezuela||Venezuela||4–1||Loss||2006 World Cup qualification|
|10.||12 October 2005||Tacna, Peru||Bolivia||4–1||Win||2006 World Cup qualification|
|11.||12 October 2005||Tacna, Peru||Bolivia||4–1||Win||2006 World Cup qualification|
|12.||3 June 2007||Madrid, Spain||Ecuador||2–1||Win||Friendly|
|13.||11 October 2011||Santiago, Chile||Chile||4–2||Loss||2014 World Cup qualification|
|14.||7 September 2012||Lima, Peru||Venezuela||2–1||Win||2014 World Cup qualification|
|15.||7 September 2012||Lima, Peru||Venezuela||2–1||Win||2014 World Cup qualification|
|16.||23 March 2013||Lima, Peru||Chile||1–0||Win||2014 World Cup qualification|
|17.||6 September 2013||Lima, Peru||Uruguay||1–2||Loss||2014 World Cup qualification|
|18.||3 June 2015||Lima, Peru||Mexico||1–1||Draw||Friendly|
Farfán is considered as a fast forward or winger, and regarded less as a goal-scorer, but more as a creator and assister of goals. His one-on-one dribbling ability, accurate corner kicks and passes contributes heavily to Schalke's goals, especially in the international arena. Farfán is also known for his penalty kick and direct or indirect free kick ability.
|Peru||League||Copa Inca||South America||Other||Total|
|Alianza Lima||Peruvian League||2001–02||1||0||-||-||0||0||0||0||1||0|||
|Last updated: 15 June 2015|
- Alianza Lima
- PSV Eindhoven
- Schalke 04
- Peru national team
- Bolivarian Games: 2001
Farfán has three children; two sons and one daughter.
- "17 Jefferson Farfan". FC Schalke 04. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Farfan, Jefferson" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Talib, Hassan Haji; Schumano, Alex (10 April 2013). "Why Jefferson Farfan is Schalke 04's Most Important Player". ftbpro.com. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Rutten haalt met Farfán eerste aanwinst naar Schalke 04" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 5 June 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2008.
- "PSV's Farfan joins Schalke 04". FIFA.com. 10 June 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2008.
- "Jefferson Farfan bleibt ein Schalker – Peruaner unterschreibt bis 2016" (in German). schalke04.de. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Jefferson Farfan passes medical as Al Jazira move near completion". ESPNFC. 20 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Peru's Del Solar says he won't resign over hotel party scandal". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 17 August 2008.
- "Jefferson Farfán". National Football Teams. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Hassan Haji Talib (21 November 2012). "Jefferson Farfan: Von der Skandalnudel zum Musterprofi" [Jefferson Farfan: From scandal guy to model professional]. goal.com (in German) (Goal.com). Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Farfan beschert Schalke mit einem Solo den 1–0 Sieg in Leverkusen" [Farfan brought Schalke with a solo to 1–0 win in Leverkusen]. abendblatt.de (in German) (Hamburger Abendblatt). 24 October 2011. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Jefferson Farfán profile at Soccerway
- "J. Farfán". Soccerway. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Jefferson Farfán estuvo en el nacimiento de su tercer hijo" [Jefferson Farfán was in the birth of her third child]. elcomercio.pe (in German) (El Comercio). 16 May 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Official website (Spanish)
- Jefferson Farfán at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Jefferson Farfán at psvweb.nl (Dutch)