Jefferson Forest High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Jefferson Forest High School|
|1 Cavalier Circle
Forest, Virginia 24551
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Bedford County Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Lee Ann Calvert|
|Color(s)||Red, Black, and White|
|Athletics conference||Seminole District|
|Mascot||Sir Jefferson of Forest|
|Rivals||Liberty High School
Brookville High School
Staunton River High School
|Feeder schools||Forest Middle School|
Jefferson Forest High School (JFHS) is one of the three high schools in Bedford County, Virginia. Jefferson Forest High School was first opened in 1972. The Principal is Dr. Lee Ann Calvert, the assistant principals are Ms. Jean Marie Johnston, Mr. Troy S. Doss, and Mr. Donnie Norman.
JFHS is designed with four levels and houses over sixty-six classrooms. In 2008-2009, the school was renovated and added two new science and math hallways. In addition to regular classrooms, there is a library, weight room, gymnasium, auditorium, home economics room, industrial arts facility, band room, chorus room, and an art room. Jefferson Forest High School's past enrollment in 2006–2008 is 1,250 students and 1,375 in 2008–2009. There are 180 days in the school year. Each day starts with an optional zero period at 7:30 a.m. and continues with six additional periods.
Support staff includes four administrators, four guidance counselors, two librarians, and one full-time and one part-time school nurse, and five secretaries. In addition, there is one English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher. 39% of teachers hold advanced degrees. 61% hold four-year degrees including seven teachers holding provisional licenses. All administrators hold advanced degrees. Five aides serve as personnel resources for the library, special education classrooms, and guidance office. One full-time resource officer provided by the county sheriff’s department assists with legal and safety issues. The custodial staff includes nine employees, and the cafeteria staff includes nine part-time and two full-time employees.
- Soccer- State Champs 2011, Runners-up in 2004, State Semifinalists in 1999, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2012
- Football - State Runners-up 1979 & 1991; State Champs Division 3 1992 and 1993
- Girls Volleyball - State Champs 1997,State Runners-Up in 1984,1996 and 2003
- Outdoor Track – State Champs 1999, 2000, and 2001, triple crown champs.
- Baseball - State Champs 1988; State runners-up 1989; state runner up 2015
- Band - 9th place at Nationals and a Virginia State Honor Band
- Swimming- State 3rd place 2009
- Drama - State Runners-up 2012, 2014, 2016
- Competition Cheer leading- State Champs 2003
- Cross country - Seminole District Champions 1994-2014
- Jake Grove (1980-), All-American Offensive Lineman at Virginia Tech and former Center for the Oakland Raiders and Miami Dolphins
- Anthony Poindexter (1976-), Former Special Teams member for the Baltimore Ravens. Poindexter was an All-American DB in college but tore 4 ligaments in his leg in his last college season and that ruined his NFL career. He played 10 games with the Ravens on Special Teams and later joined the Cleveland Browns without seeing action. Poindexter is now a coach at the University of Virginia.
- "About Us - Jefferson Forest High School". bedfordjfhs.sharpschool.net. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "School Directory".
- ""JFHS 2014-2015 School Profile"" (PDF). Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Our Staff - Jefferson Forest High School". bedfordjfhs.sharpschool.net. Retrieved 2015-11-26.