Jefferson High School (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Thomas Jefferson High School|
Jefferson High School Emblem
|1243 20th St SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Cedar Rapids Community School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Brad Buck|
|Principal||Chuck McDonnell |
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue and White|
|Mascot||Jeffy the J-Hawk|
Thomas Jefferson High School is a public high school in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It is the eighth largest high school in Iowa. The school's mascot is Jeffy the J-Hawk and the official school colors are Columbia Blue and white.
Jefferson currently has 170 staff members, and 1,516 students. The student to teacher ratio is 17:1.
Jefferson has 22 Varsity level sports and is one of 14 schools that participate in the Mississippi Valley Conference.
- Men's Tennis
- Women's Tennis
- Men's Track
- Women's Track
- Men's Soccer
- Women's Soccer
- Women's Golf
- Trap Shooting
Jefferson offers multiple instrumental programs, including marching band "The Band of Blue", three concert bands, one jazz band, and two pep bands. They also offer six choirs, and three show choirs. In addition, Jefferson has five orchestra programs.
Thomas Jefferson's first class graduated in 1958, but first competed in athletic events starting in the fall of 1957. The school's original population was made up of two formerly separate high schools, Theodore Roosevelt High School, and Woodrow Wilson High School. They merged into one school in April 1958, upon the completion of the construction of the school. Since then, Jefferson has been housed at its current location. The school added a new gymnasium addition to the school in 1990. In addition, a new science wing and music wing were built in 2003. The school has been named a "Blue Ribbon National School of Excellence" two times, one of the few traditional schools to earn this honor twice. Jefferson is currently undergoing a new geothermal heating renovation.
- Landon Cassill, NASCAR driver
- Jacob Jaacks, professional basketball player
- Larry Lawrence, former Oakland Raider, played in the Super Bowl
- Todd Taylor, Iowa State Representative, District 32
- Dean Uthoff, basketball player at Iowa State and in the NBL of Australia 
- Jarrod Uthoff, basketball player for the Iowa Hawkeyes, former Mr. Basketball in Iowa, forward for the Dallas Mavericks
- Mark Walter, founder and the chief executive officer of Guggenheim Partners and Chairman of the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Gary Molander, Hirschmann-Makineni Professor and Chair, Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania 
- Christian Anton, Academic Decathlon National Champion in Economics 
Clubs/Extra Curricular Activities
- Magic the Gathering Club
- Video game Club
- Anime Club
- Chess Team
- Robotics Club
- "Jefferson High School". Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Thomas Jefferson High School". Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- "Who we are". Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Jefferson Singers".
- "Ensembles". Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Construction". Jefferson High School. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Hlas, Mike (February 25, 2012). "Landon Cassill: From Cedar Rapids to the Daytona 500". The Gazette. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Jacob Jaacks profile". University of Iowa. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Pugliese, Nick (December 7, 2012). "Legendary Jefferson athlete Larry Lawrence dies". IowaPrepSports.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Todd Taylor". Iowa House of Representatives. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Relative of NBL legend
- Christensen, Kim (April 21, 2012). "What kind of man is Dodgers' next owner?". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Iowa Secretary of State (1985). Official register. Iowa General Assembly. p. 33.
- Wolf, Gordon (October 21, 2005). "Gubernatorial candidate Vander Plaats wants to increase private investment in state's economy". Denison Bulletin Review. Retrieved August 18, 2014.