Jefferson High School (Daly City, California)
|Jefferson High School|
6996 Mission Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Jefferson Union High School District|
|Number of students||1,107 (2016-17)|
Jefferson High School is an American public high school in Daly City, California, United States, and was the first school in the Jefferson Union High School District (JUHSD). Jefferson serves Daly City, Brisbane, Pacifica, and Colma.
Daly City residents who formerly had to send their children to San Francisco high schools because of a lack of a local alternative voted into existence the Jefferson Union High School District in 1922. This resulted in the formation of Jefferson High School.
Jefferson High School (JHS) opened in 1922 to its first 50 students using the old Jefferson Hall (previously Jefferson Elementary School) near San Pedro Road and Hill Street. Recognizing the need for a more suitable campus to accommodate the rapidly expanding student body, JUHSD residents voted to build a new campus at the current location in 1923.
The first building was finished in 1925. Subsequently, this building was demolished and replaced in 1963.
In 2005, Jefferson began a project to renovate and remodel the campus.
|White||Latino||Asian||African American||Pacific Islander||American Indian||Two or More Races|
According to US News and World Report, 98% of Jefferson's student body is "of color," with 54% of the student body coming from an economically disadvantaged household, determined by student eligibility for California's Reduced-price meal program. 
|SAT Scores for 2013–2014 |
|Critical Reading Average||Math Average||Writing Average|
|Jefferson High School||455||477||452|
|Jefferson Union District||503||536||500|
|San Mateo County||546||576||548|
The following co-curricular clubs are hosted at Jefferson High School to complement the regular school curriculum:
|Associated Student Body||Black Student Union||Band||Close Up (trip)|
|Club Jeff||Anime Club||Band Color Guard||Fil-Am|
|Home and Garden||Instrumental||Trading Post||JBIC|
|Latin Heritage||Mission Fusion||Symphonic Band||Mock Trial|
|Photography Club||Pottery||Environmental Club||Robotics|
|Polynesian||Sojourn to the Past||Gay-Straight Alliance||Yearbook|
The Tom-Tom is Jefferson's student newspaper. It is published quarterly, usually in November, February, April and June.
The newspaper regularly participates in and has received awards in local (Peninsula Press Club), state (Journalism Education Association of Northern California) and national (Journalism Education Association/NSPA) conferences and competitions.
Jefferson provides the following sports programs depending on the season:
- Fall/Winter: football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, cheerleading, cross country running
- Spring: badminton, baseball, softball, swimming, track
- Tony Compagno, NFL player
- E. Floyd Kvamme, 1955. Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. Co-chair, President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
- John Madden, 1954. NFL Hall of Fame coach, player, commentator.
- Don Mossi, 1929. MLB All-Star 1957 Cleveland Indians
- Edwin Mulitalo, 1992. NFL player, Super Bowl XXXV Champion-Baltimore Ravens
- Ken Reitz, 1969. MLB player.
- "Jefferson High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- "Historical Items". Jefferson High School Alumni Boosters. 27 August 2003. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- "SAT Report - District Level Scores". California Department of Education. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "Classes 1950–1959". Archived from the original on 15 May 2002. Retrieved 15 October 2008.