Jefferson Township, Coshocton County, Ohio
|Jefferson Township, Coshocton County, Ohio|
Fields east of Walhonding, Ohio
Location of Jefferson Township in Coshocton County
|• Total||26.36 sq mi (68.26 km2)|
|• Land||26.32 sq mi (68.18 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||794 ft (242 m)|
|• Density||57/sq mi (22.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085917|
Jefferson Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Coshocton County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported 1,500 people living in the township, 687 of whom were in the unincorporated portions.
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Monroe Township - north
- Clark Township - northeast corner
- Bethlehem Township - east
- Jackson Township - southeast corner
- Bedford Township - south
- Perry Township - southwest corner
- Newcastle Township - west
- Tiverton Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jefferson township, Coshocton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Jefferson township, Jefferson township, Coshocton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Graham, Albert Adams (1881). History of Coshocton County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, 1740-1881. A. A. Graham. p. 513.
- Hunt, William Ellis (1876). Historical Collections of Coshocton County, Ohio. R. Clarke & Company. p. 3.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.