Jefferson Township, Madison County, Ohio
|Jefferson Township, Madison County, Ohio|
House and farm fields south of West Jefferson
Location of Jefferson Township in Madison County
|• Total||42.1 sq mi (109.1 km2)|
|• Land||42.1 sq mi (109.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||164.7/sq mi (63.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086544|
Jefferson Township is one of the fourteen townships of Madison County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 6,935 people in the township, 2,604 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Canaan Township - north
- Brown Township, Franklin County - northeast
- Prairie Township, Franklin County - east
- Pleasant Township, Franklin County - northwest
- Fairfield Township - south
- Union Township - southwest corner
- Deer Creek Township - west
- Monroe Township - northwest
The village of West Jefferson is located in central Jefferson Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Madison County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.