Jefferson Township, Noble County, Ohio
|Jefferson Township, Noble County, Ohio|
Ogles Ridge Church, south of Middleburg
Location of Jefferson Township in Noble County
|• Total||23.8 sq mi (61.5 km2)|
|• Land||23.7 sq mi (61.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,024 ft (312 m)|
|• Density||12.0/sq mi (4.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086746|
Jefferson Township is one of the fifteen townships of Noble County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 284 people in the township, 183 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Enoch Township - north
- Stock Township - northeast
- Elk Township - east
- Salem Township, Washington County - south
- Aurelius Township, Washington Township - southwest
- Jackson Township - west
- Olive Township - northwest corner
A part of the small village of Dexter City is located in far western Jefferson Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Noble County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.