Jefferson Union High School District
|Jefferson Union High School District|
|699 Serramonte Boulevard, Suite No. 100|
Daly City, San Mateo County, California, 94015
|Motto||Excellence Through Equity|
|Grades||9–12, Adult ED|
|Superintendent||Dr. Terry Ann Deloria|
|NCES District ID||0618930|
|Students and staff|
|Athletic conference||Peninsula Athletic League|
The Jefferson Union High School District (JUHSD) is a high school district in northern San Mateo County, California which serves the cities of Daly City, Brisbane, Pacifica, and the town of Colma. Its district office is located at the former site of Serramonte High School. It serves as a secondary education district for students coming from the Jefferson Elementary School District, Bayshore School District, Brisbane School District and the Pacifica School District.
The Jefferson Union High School District was formed by voters in a March 1922 election, and the first Jefferson High School opened on August 21, 1922 at an old school house on Alemany at the corner of Hill and Market. Voters approved a bond of $180,000 in November 1922 for a new high school building, which was dedicated on May 23, 1925. That building was later demolished in the early 1960s after the opening of the current Jefferson High School building in 1963.
|Jefferson||1922||1,107||Grizzlies||Daly City||Current building built in 1963, refurbished 2005|
|Oceana||1962||597||Sharks||Pacifica||Main building designed by Mario Ciampi; nontraditional school with emphasis on liberal arts education|
|Shasta||2013||425||Black Bears||Daly City||Summit Public (charter) School, colocated with district headquarters at former Serramonte HS campus|
|Thornton||—||136||—||—||Daly City||Continuation high school|
|Westmoor||1958||1,598||Rams||Daly City||Campus designed by Mario Ciampi and Lawrence Halprin|
- 2016–17 data from DataQuest
The now closed Serramonte High School was open from 1970 to 1981, returning in a limited form for the two academic years of 1993–1995. At the time, it was proposed to relocate Oceana to the Serramonte campus to save money to restore a state-mandated $750,000 reserve fund for the district. The former campus, now renamed Serramonte Del Rey, serves as the district office.
According to the California Department of Education, the total enrollment for Jefferson Union High School District is 4,862 in the 2016–17 academic year.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Jefferson Union High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Loy, Whitney (2008). "County of San Mateo: State of California High School Districts" (PDF). Jefferson Union High School District. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Rasmussen, Sidney Warren. "Jefferson's Early History". Jefferson Alumni. Archived from the original on February 4, 2005. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "Enrollment Multi-Year Summary by Grade: Jefferson Union High District Report (41-68924)". California Department of Education. n.d. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Liu, Kathy (n.d.). "Integrated, Interdisciplinary Curriculum for a Health Career Path". Access Excellence. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Wildermuth, John (April 1, 1995). "Serramonte High Picked for Closure / Pacifica-Daly City district cutting costs". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Jefferson Union District Website
- Jefferson High School Website
- Oceana High School Website
- Terra Nova High School Website
- Westmoor High School Website
- Thornton High School Website
- Rasmussen, Sidney Warren. "Jefferson Alumni". jeffalumni.com. Archived from the original on February 11, 2005. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
|This California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|