Jeffree Star Cosmetics
Logo of Jeffree Star Cosmetics, INC
|Products||Cosmetics, beauty products|
Number of employees
Jeffree Star Cosmetics is an American cosmetics company founded by internet personality Jeffree Star. Star claims to have invested his life savings to start the company's makeup line in 2014 with an initial three liquid lipstick colors. The company is estimated to sell US$100 million annually. All products are vegan and cruelty-free. The company is co-owned by Star and his business partner Jeff Cohen.
The company was conceived by Star in 2013. Star terminated his music career and invested fully into the company. In November 2014, the cosmetics company launched a collection of 3 Velour liquid lipsticks. The company is co-owned by Star and his business partner Jeff Cohen, who was an early investor in the company.
The company produces lipsticks, concealers, setting powders, highlighters, lip products, jackets, and mirrors. The company randomly sells mystery boxes on their website, including a mini box, premium box, and deluxe box. Seven products—the "Androgyny" palette, the "Magic Star" setting powder and concealer, the "Velour Liquid Lipstick", the "Thirsty" palette, the "Liquid Frost" highlighter, and the "Blood Sugar" palette—were Cosmopolitan's favorite company products. Products sold by the company are vegan and cruelty-free.
In an interview for Nylon in April 2016, Star revealed the company's first eye shadow palette, titled "Beauty Killer", which was named after his only studio album. He also stated that he wanted to expand the company's products to include his "own moisturizer and foundation". Like the palette following it, it included 10 shades.
In January 2017, Star revealed another eye shadow palette, titled "Androgyny". It was released in March 2017. Star named the palette after his "theme [of] life", and colors featured in the palette dramatically changed. He also revealed a "skin frost highlighter palette". The company launched "The Star Family Collection" in October 2017. Some shade names were made from Star's pet Pomeranians.
In January 2018, Star revealed the "Blood Sugar" palette, which included 18 shades highlighting red tones. It was released on January 29(PR), and February 10(GLOBAL) respectively in the company's lovesick collection. For the company's summer collection, Star revealed another palette titled "Thirsty".
In August 2018, the first East Coast location to carry the cosmetics line was a Morphe Cosmetics store in Paramus, New Jersey. In October 2018, the company started selling its products in Belgium and the Netherlands, followed by France in November.
In November 2018, Star released an "Alien" palette, coinciding with the release of a holiday collection, which contained liquid lipsticks and lip scrubs. It included the same number of shades as the "Blood Sugar" palette. The aforementioned "skin frost palette", a highlighting palette titled "Supreme Frost Pro", was finally released in December 2018.
In March 2019, a successor to the "Blood Sugar" palette, "Blue Blood", was released. This palette highlighted blue toned shades and featured a casket shape. A collection coinciding with the palette also released. On April 2, 2019, Star announced that one of the company's warehouses had been robbed; around US$2,500,000 was lost. Items stolen from the warehouse included the eyeshadow palette "Blue Blood" and a then-unreleased concealer, Magic Star. Some stolen products were resold on other websites. He consequently announced that "Magic Star" would be launched in May. As revealed in The Beautiful World of Jeffree Star, no leads were discovered by the FBI.
In May 2019, Star revealed the company's first lip gloss collection, titled "The Gloss". In August, Star announced that a collaborative palette with Morphe would be released. In conjunction with the palette, a brush set was launched. Star stated that the collaboration was created mainly to make a palette that has a cheaper price point. Unlike Androgyny, the collaborative palette contained 30 shades. Jawbreaker, the company's "biggest release to date", was released in June 2019, along with a summer collection. A smaller palette titled "Mini Breaker" was also released.
In October 2019, Shane Dawson's documentary series The Beautiful World of Jeffree Star showcased behind the scenes of Jeffree Star Cosmetics. The series also documents the production of a new product line, created by Star and Dawson. On November 1, 2019, The Conspiracy Collection became available through the company's website and Morphe locations. Excessive traffic resulted in outages on Shopify and Morphe.com lasting hours.
Two mystery boxes were launched on the website, a later one being a Halloween-themed one. The first one was criticized by some for not including beauty products in one box and missing items in another. However, the first one received mostly positive reviews. The second one, released in October 2019, was criticized by some who received broken products.
In 2019, the cosmetics line became available in Singapore and Malaysia. According to Jeffree Star Cosmetics website, as of November 20, 2019, the line is also available in-store in Australia, Bangladesh, Finland, Norway, the Philippines, Switzerland, and the United Arab Emirates.[third-party source needed]
In February 2020, Star released his "Blood Lust" collection and palette. In May 2020, Star revealed his "Cremated" collection and palette. The launch of this collection was pushed back due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In July 2020, Morphe ceased commercial activities with the company over allegations of racism, blackmail and manipulation against Jeffree Star.
In August 2020, Star released his "Orgy" collection, which was his first nude-colored collection. The collection included the 30 pan Orgy palette, the 9 pan Mini Orgy palette, 6 new lipglosses, a 25-set nude-colored mini lipstick vault, and a new luminous setting powder.
In November 2020, Star released his “Blood Money” collection, this was the fourth palette in the “Blood Collection” and it was green themed. The collection included several other products including accessories, 4 new “The Gloss” shades and the debut of the Jeffree Star Cosmetics eyeliner formula.
In late January 2021, Star introduced the second gloss formula to his brand called the “Supreme Gloss”. Which came in a variety of shades, some new and some which were and are “Velour Liquid Lipstick” shades.
In February, Star announced the release of another collection titled the “Blood Sugar Anniversary Collection” in honour of the anniversary of the original Blood Sugar collection. It will feature a new palette, the “Mini Blood Sugar Palette”, a red themed “Velour Liquid Lipstick” collection, a “Cavity Skin Frost” highlighter palette and a relaunch of the “Blood Sugar” palette. It is to be released on February 26th.
- Taylor, Jade (2016-04-06). "Jeffree Star Tells Us All About His Cosmetics Line". NYLON. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- Robehmed, Natalie. "Highest-Paid YouTube Stars 2018: Markiplier, Jake Paul, PewDiePie And More". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Mychaskiw, Marianne (2016-04-06). "These Internet-Famous Liquid Lipsticks Are Selling Out as Fast as Kylie's Lip Kits". InStyle.com. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "MWZB Law | Attorneys & Agents | Jeff R. Cohen". www.mwzb.com. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "| California Secretary of State". businesssearch.sos.ca.gov. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- Greenwood, Koltan (2020-01-01). "Jeffree Star talks quitting music, building cosmetics empire in house tour". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- Jung, Helin (2017-09-07). "Meet the Real Jeffree Star: "I'm in a Different Place. I'm Growing Up."". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Dodgson, Lindsay (2019-07-30). "Jeffree Star has come under fire from some customers and other YouTubers who say his mystery boxes are disappointing". Insider. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Jowett, Victoria (2019-06-14). "7 Jeffree Star Cosmetics products we absolutely could not live without". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Sciarretto, Amy (2016-06-02). "Here's When To Get The Next Jeffree Star Palette". Bustle. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Tai, Cordelia (2017-03-02). "Jeffree Star's Androgynous Eyeshadow Palette Is Almost Here". theFashionSpot. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Morel, Chantel (2017-02-02). "Jeffree Star JUST Revealed the Inside of the Androgyny Palette". Allure. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Denton, Elizabeth (2017-03-04). "MAJOR Details About Jeffree Star's Skin Frost Pro Highlighting Palette Straight From Star Himself". Allure. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- "Jeffree Star's dogs: Names, ages and everything you need to know about the YouTuber's Pomeranians". PopBuzz. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Hourigan, Alexandra (2017-10-10). "Jeffree Star's new collection has finally dropped!". finder.com.au. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Hourigan, Alexandra (2018-01-21). "Jeffree Star is dropping a totally loveable Valentine's Day collection". finder.com.au. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Flink, Tanya (2018-06-01). "Jeffree Star Cosmetics to Launch New Vegan Eyeshadow Palette". LIVEKINDLY. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Shkolnikova, Svetlana (2018-08-11). "Jeffree Star draws thousands to Garden State Plaza for Morphe store opening". North Jersey. Retrieved 2019-04-08.
- Sandler, Emma (2019-01-31). "How Jeffree Star Cosmetics used predictive modeling in its European launch". Glossy. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Driver, Robin. "Jeffree Star Cosmetics launches in France". FashionNetwork.com. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Jowett, Victoria (2018-11-01). "There's a new Jeffree Star eyeshadow palette coming, and the internet can't cope". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Hourigan, Alexandra (2018-10-31). "What's in the Jeffree Star 2018 holiday collection and where to buy it". finder.com.au. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Capon, Laura (2018-11-24). "Prepare yourselves because Jeffree Star is launching a Northern Lights palette". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Dyer, Gabrielle (2019-03-15). "PSA: Jeffree Star's new Blue Blood Palette is en route". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- "YouTuber has '$2.5m worth' of make-up stolen". BBC News. 2019-04-03. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Henderson, Cydney. "Jeffree Star reveals 'black market' burglars stole $2.5 million worth of makeup". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Preston, Hannah (2019-04-02). "Jeffree Star reveals "horrific" story of thousands of products stolen and sold on black market". Newsweek. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Contreras, Cydney (2019-10-11). "Jeffree Star Calls Cosmetics Robbery a "Targeted" Attack on Him and Shane Dawson". E! News. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Dyer, Gabrielle (2019-05-29). "Jeffree Star just revealed his new The Gloss lipgloss collection". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Dyer, Gabrielle (2019-08-07). "A Jeffree Star x Morphe eyeshadow palette is coming, and the internet has a lot of feelings". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Dommu, Rose (2019-09-11). "Jeffree Star on Why the Beauty Industry Is Dominated by Queer Men". www.out.com. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Perelli, Amanda (2019-06-21). "YouTube star Jeffree Star said his new beauty collection began selling out in 5 minutes, and it shows how fans treat the products like collector's items". Business Insider. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Jowett, Victoria (2019-06-21). "OMG Jeffree Star's new Jawbreaker palettes have *just* gone on sale". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Raga, Pippa. "What You Need to Know About Jeffree Star and Shane Dawson's New Makeup Collab". Distractify. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- "The Shane Dawson And Jeffree Star Makeup Collection Crashed Shopify And People Are Losing It". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- Krause, Amanda (2019-10-21). "People say they're receiving broken highlighters from Jeffree Star's makeup line, but the beauty mogul is blaming it on the Postal Service". Insider. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Qiu Min, Ooi (2019-01-14). "Jeffree Star Cosmetics Makes Its Singapore Debut | L'Officiel Singapore". www.lofficielsingapore.com. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Lee, Jolin (2019-10-11). "Cult beauty brand, Jeffree Star Cosmetics has finally reached Malaysian shores". Lifestyle Asia. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- "F.A.Q". Jeffree Star Cosmetics. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Capon, Laura (2020-02-21). "Jeffree Star's Blood Lust palette launches today, here's all the UK release info you need". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2020-03-09.
- "YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- Alexander, Julia (2020-07-10). "YouTube creator Jeffree Star dropped by makeup retailer Morphe". The Verge. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- (PDF) https://smcarthurlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Dkt-1.-Complaint.pdf. Missing or empty
- DENTON, ELIZABETH (2017-04-06). "Jeffree Star and Manny MUA are Being Sued by Black Moon Cosmetics for Alleged Copyright Infringement (Updated)". allure.
- https://www.instagram.com/p/BSje_GrgRIq/?utm_source=ig_embed. Missing or empty
- "Jeffree Star and Manny MUA settle lawsuit with Black Moon". cosmeticsbusiness.com. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Jeffree Star Sued By Anna Nicole Smith's Estate Over Makeup Line". The Blast. 2020-10-27. Retrieved 2020-10-28.