3 November 1955 |
Banks worked as a design assistant to Ralph Lauren(1971–73) and Calvin Klein (1973–76). He has claimed credit for Klein's logo garments, stating that he had the logo from a press folder silkscreened onto the sleeve of a brown T-shirt as a present for Klein. The gift was assumed by Barry K. Schwartz to be part of the upcoming line, and similar shirts formed the uniform for the front-of-house staff at Klein's next catwalk show, leading to the buyers asking to purchase them.
After leaving Calvin Klein, Banks launched his own-name label in New York City in 1977 according to his official website, although some sources state 1978. By 1996, suits, shirts, eyewear and accessories from Jeffrey Banks Ltd. and Jeffrey Banks International were being sold worldwide with sales of about $20 million.
As an author, Jeffrey Banks has co-authored three fashion books with Doria de la Chapelle for Rizzoli, including a 2007 book on tartan, and a 2011 book on the preppy style. The second book led to Banks and de la Chapelle collaborating with Erica Lennard on Perry Ellis: an American original, the first in-depth monograph on Banks's former friend and colleague, the designer Perry Ellis, published in 2013.
- Martin, Richard; Diana Idzelis. "Jeffrey Banks - Fashion Designer Encyclopedia". Fashion Encyclopaedia. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Carney Smith, Jessie (2006). Encyclopedia of African American Business, Volume 1, A - J. Westport, Conn. [u.a.]: Greenwood Press. pp. 293–294. ISBN 0313331103. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Manlow, Veronica (2009). Designing clothes : culture and organization of the fashion industry (1st pbk. ed.). New Brunswick, [N.J.]: Transaction Pub. p. 99. ISBN 9781412810555.
- "About Jeffrey Banks". Jeffrey Banks. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Gites, Lloyd (June 1997). "Breaking into the Fashion Biz". Black Enterprise: 277.
- Banks, Jeffrey; de la Chapelle, Doria (2007). Tartan: Romancing The Plaid. Rizzoli. ISBN 0847829820.
- Banks, Jeffrey; Chapelle, Doria de la (2011). Preppy : cultivating Ivy style. New York: Rizzoli. ISBN 0847836614.
- McDermott, Emily (21 October 2013). "Perry Ellis and American Prep". Interview Magazine. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Banks, Jeffrey; Lennard, Erica; de la Chapelle, Doria (2013). Perry Ellis : an American original. Rizzoli. ISBN 0847840700.