Jeffrey Evans, 4th Baron Mountevans
The Lord Mountevans
|688th Lord Mayor of London|
13 November 2015 – 11 November 2016
|Metropolitan Mayor||Boris Johnson|
|Preceded by||Sir Alan Yarrow|
|Succeeded by||Sir Andrew Parmley|
|Sheriff of London|
September 2012 – September 2013
Alongside Nigel Pullman
|Preceded by||Alan Yarrow|
|Succeeded by||Sir Paul Judge|
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
8 July 2015
|Preceded by||The 3rd Viscount Tenby|
|Born||13 May 1948|
|Spouse(s)||Juliet née Wilson (m.1972)|
|Parents||Richard Evans, 2nd Baron Mountevans;|
|Alma mater||Pembroke College, Cambridge|
Lord Mountevans was elected a City Alderman in 2007, served as Sheriff in 2012–13 and was Lord Mayor for 2015–16. He sits in the House of Lords as an hereditary peer, having been elected in the Crossbench Hereditary Peers' By-election of July 2015, following the 3rd Viscount Tenby's retirement from Parliament.
The younger son of Richard, 2nd Baron Mountevans, he succeeded to his title on the death without issue in 2014 of his elder brother Broke, 3rd Baron Mountevans. He speaks fluent Norwegian as his grandmother on his father's side was a native of Norway.
The City and shipping
Lord Mountevans is a director of gas chartering at Clarkson plc and a member of the Baltic Exchange. He served as Prime Warden of the Shipwrights' Company for 2006–07 before his election as Alderman for the City Ward of Cheap in 2007, and was Sheriff of London for 2012–13. At the Michaelmas Common Hall in 2015 he was elected to serve as Lord Mayor for the ensuing year, taking office on 13 November 2015. He is also a liveryman of the Goldsmiths' and World Traders' Companies.
Mountevans' many charitable involvements include being a Trustee of Seafarers UK, a leading national maritime charity, President of the City of London Sea Cadets and a Council Member of the White Ensign Association, which offers advice to all ranks of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines on employment, pensions and other financial matters.
- Jeffrey Evans (1948–1958)
- The Hon. Jeffrey Evans (1958–2007)
- Alderman the Hon. Jeffrey Evans (2007–2014)
- Alderman The Rt Hon. The Lord Mountevans (2014–2015)
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Mayor The Lord Mountevans (2015–2016)
- Alderman The Rt Hon. The Lord Mountevans (2016–Present)
- "No. 62150". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 2017. p. N2.
- "The Lord Mayor's biography". Cityoflondon.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 2016-05-10.
- www.cityoflondon.gov.uk : new Lord Mayor of London (for 2015-16)
- Mosley, Charles (ed.) (2003). Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 107th edn. London: Burke's Peerage & Gentry Ltd. p. 2806 (MOUNTEVANS, B). ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- www.cityoflondon.gov.uk Archived 2012-03-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Corporation of London online news
- www.whiteensign.co.uk Archived 2012-04-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Past Prime Warden Shipwright The Lord Mountevans
- Lord Mayor Mountevans' overseas programme
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Hon. Alexander Evans
Sir Alan Yarrow
| Lord Mayor of London