Jeffrey J. Helmick
|Jeffrey James Helmick|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio|
June 7, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||James G. Carr|
|Born||Jeffrey James Helmick
September 6, 1960
|Education||University of Michigan (B.A.)
Ohio State University (J.D.)
Jeffrey James Helmick (born September 6, 1960) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Early life and education
From 1988 until 1989, Helmick worked as an associate at the law firm Marshall & Melhorn. From 1989 until 1995, he worked as a principal in a law firm, and then he was a principal in another law firm from 1996 until 1998. Helmick co-founded his own law firm in 1998 and concentrated in federal criminal defense litigation.
Federal judicial service
On May 11, 2011, President Obama nominated Helmick to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio that had been vacated by Judge James G. Carr, who took senior status in June 2010. He was recommended for the post by senators George Voinovich and Sherrod Brown. On February 15, 2012, Helmick received a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, with the support of Sherrod Brown and Voinovich's successor, Rob Portman. On March 8, 2012, Helmick's nomination was reported to the floor of the Senate by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a vote of 11–6. In the Senate debate over Helmick's nomination, there was some controversy over Helmick's representation of accused terrorist and Toledo terror plot organizer Wassim Mazloum in 2009 as well as an ethics case that had gone to the Supreme Court of Ohio. Sen. Chuck Grassley in particular opposed Helmick for his role as a court-appointed attorney for Mazloum, who was ultimately convicted. However, Helmick was backed by both Democratic Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown and Republican Ohio Senator Rob Portman. On June 6, 2012, the Senate voted 62–36 to confirm Helmick. He received his commission on June 7, 2012.
- MyLife.com profile
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 11, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Three for District Court Bench". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- "Helmick, Jeffrey James - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 11, 2011). "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, 5/11/2011". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Toledo Blade (January 2, 2012). "Nominee for federal court seat is in limbo, 1/2/2012". ToledoBlade.com. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Toledo Blade (June 7, 2012). "Senate gives nod to Toledo lawyer". ToledoBlade.com. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 112th Congress - 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- Jeffrey J. Helmick at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Jeffrey J. Helmick at Ballotpedia
James G. Carr
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio