This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jeffrey Long is an American author and researcher into the phenomenon of near-death experiences (NDEs). A physician by training, Long practices radiation oncology at a hospital in Louisiana. Long is the author of Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences, which appeared on The New York Times Best Seller list. In 1998, he founded the Near Death Experience Research Foundation, which is concerned with documenting and researching NDEs.
Long completed medical school and a residency in radiation oncology at the University of Iowa. Early in his medical career, Long became interested in NDEs after reading a journal article about them. A few years later, the wife of one of his friends told him a detailed story about her experience after her heart stopped while under anesthesia. While working as a physician in Las Vegas, Long was influenced by speakers who had been invited by Raymond Moody, a physician and NDE researcher.
He later practiced medicine in Gallup, New Mexico, before taking a position at the Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center in Houma, Louisiana, in 2009. Long established the Near Death Experience Research Foundation (NDERF) in 1998. The foundation maintains a website, also launched in 1998, and a database of more than 1,600 cases, which is the world's largest collection of near-death reports. He is on the board of directors of the American Center for the Integration of Spiritually Transformative Experiences (ACISTE).
Long asserts that peace and love are the two words most commonly used by people who describe what they believe to be NDEs. In 2014, the NDERF said that an average of 774 NDEs happened each day in the United States.
Long is the author of the book Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences, a New York Times Best Seller. He has appeared in many media outlets, including The O'Reilly Factor, NBC Today, ABC (Peter Jennings), Dr. Oz Show, History Channel, Learning Channel, National Geographic and Fox News Houston.
In 2009 Long contributed to The handbook of near-death experiences: thirty years of investigation, published by Praeger. The book is a comprehensive critical review of the research carried out within the field of near-death studies and considered to be a relevant publication in the field.
- Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences.
- "ACISTE Board of Directors". ACISTE. August 6, 2015. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- McKnight, Laura (February 14, 2010). "Houma oncologist gains national attention with book on near-death experiences". Houma Today.
- Beck, Melinda. "Seeking Proof in Near-Death Claims". The Wall Street Journal (Health Journal), October 25, 2010
- MacDonald, G. Jeffrey. "Scientists probe brief brushes with the afterlife". The Christian Century, January 12, 2011.
- Adler, Jerry. "Back From the Dead". Newsweek, July 23, 2007.
- Henderson, Carmen. Near death: Close calls can give people hope. Edmonton Journal, 14 May 2005: B5 Front [Final Edition]
- today.com: What happens after we die? Near-death experiences may shed light on mystery, December 20, 2016.
- Kaleem, Jaweed (April 21, 2014). "'Heaven Is For Real' spurs conversations and controversy on near-death experiences". Huffington Post. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- Schuessler, Jennifer (February 7, 2010). "Inside the List". The New York Times. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- kansascity.com: Near-death experiences: A science to bright lights and bliss?, March 17, 2017.
- catholicphilly.com: Physician-author finds God in studies of near-death experiences, February 28, 2017.
- vancouversun.com: Douglas Todd: Health professionals need to understand near-death research, April 29, 2016.
- abcnews: Ask the Experts: What Is a Near-Death Experience?, December 3, 2011.
- theepochtimes.com: Woman Has Spiritual Near-Death Experience, Cancer Cured as Result?, April 28, 2016.
- huffingtonpost.com: Bill O’Reilly Interviews Radiation Oncologist Jeffrey Long Over Proof Of The Afterlife, April 17, 2010.
- Holden, Janice Miner; Greyson, Bruce; James, Debbie, eds. (Jun 22, 2009). "The Field of Near-Death Studies: Past, Present and Future". The Handbook of Near-Death Experiences: Thirty Years of Investigation. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 1–16. ISBN 978-0-313-35864-7.
- Holden, Jan. M. "UNT Faculty Member Dr. Janice Minor Holden Publishes The Handbook of Near-Death Experiences: Thirty Years of Investigation". University of North Texas Counseling Program News, Vol. 1, Issue 2, Summer/Fall 2010
- Lichfield, Gideon. "The Science of Near-Death Experiences. Empirically investigating brushes with the afterlife". The Atlantic, April 2015.
- academia.edu, Book Reviews Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences.,[dead link] January 2012
- Fitzpatrick, Laura. Is there such a thing as life after death?. Time. Published online January 22, 2010.
- video: interview by webTV
- video: IANDS 2010 Conference, Sept. 2-4, in Denver, CO
- video: interview by coast to coast