Jeff Shaara at a book signing in Dallas, TX.
February 21, 1952 |
New Brunswick, New Jersey
|Alma mater||Florida State University|
|Notable works||Gods and Generals, The Last Full Measure|
|Relatives||Michael Shaara (Father, deceased), Lila Shaara (Sister)|
He wrote Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure, which are the prequel and sequel, respectively, to his father Michael's award-winning novel The Killer Angels. Jeff followed his father's footsteps upon the latter's death, writing historical fiction and documenting the American wars and their most-historically-relevant characters. In total, Jeff has penned thirteen New York Times bestselling novels.
He completed a trilogy in 2010 about World War II in the European and North African theaters. A fourth WWII novel, titled The Final Storm, covers the end of the war in the Pacific, and was released on May 17, 2011.
Shaara has received the W.Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction from the American Library Association in 2005 for To The Last Man: A Novel of The First World War and in 1997 for Gods and Generals. The American Library Association's Reference and Users Services Association recognized The Steel Wave as a 2009 Notable Book.
He has also been awarded the Lincoln Forum's "Richard Nelson Currant Award", New York Civil War Round Table's "Bell I. Wiley Award", and Florida State University's "Artes Award" as a Distinguished Alumnus.
Movies Based on His Works
- Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields: Discovering America's Hallowed Ground (2006) ISBN 9780345464880
- Gods and Generals (1996)—Civil War (1858–1863) ISBN 9780345409577
- The Last Full Measure (1998)—Civil War (1861–1865) ISBN 9780345404916
- Gone for Soldiers (2000)—US-Mexican War (1847–1848) ISBN 9780345427502
- Rise to Rebellion (2001)—Pre-American Revolutionary War (1770–1776) ISBN 9780345427533
- The Glorious Cause (2002)—American Revolutionary War (1776–1783) ISBN 9780345427564
- To the Last Man (2004)—World War I (1914–1918) ISBN 9780345461346
- The Rising Tide (2006)—World War II (1939–1945), Trilogy Part 1 of 3 ISBN 9780345461414
- The Steel Wave (2008)—World War II (1939–1945), Trilogy Part 2 of 3 ISBN 9780345461421
- No Less Than Victory (2009)—World War II (1939–1945), Trilogy Part 3 of 3 ISBN 9780345497925
- The Final Storm (2011)—World War II (1939–1945), Pacific Theater ISBN 9780345497949
- A Blaze of Glory (2012)—Civil War (1861-1865), Western Theater, Tetralogy Part 1 of 4 ISBN 9780345527356
- A Chain of Thunder (2013)—Civil War (1861-1865), Western Theater, Tetralogy Part 2 of 4 ISBN 9780345527387
- The Smoke at Dawn (2014)—Civil War (1861-1865), Western Theater, Tetralogy Part 3 of 4 ISBN 9780345527417
- The Fateful Lightning (2015)—Civil War (1861-1865), Western Theater, Tetralogy Part 4 of 4 ISBN 9780345549198
- "The Final Storm: A Novel of World War II in the Pacific (World War II: 1939-1945 #4)". Goodreads. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- "Awards and Honors".
- "Jeff Shaara War Novels". Jeffshaara.com. Retrieved 2014-04-22.
- "Interview with Jeff Shaara", by Gene Santoro, HistoryNet.com, September 2009.
- "Meet Jeff Shaara" official web site
- "Author Jeff Shaara" 3 interviews at BookReporter.com: May 16, 2008; November 10, 2006; October 2004.
- "Interview with Best-Selling Author Jeff Shaara", by Greg Caggiano, January 24, 2011.
- Author's website
- Interview on The Rising Tide at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library on November 30, 2006
- Video or audio interview by Karen Saupe on Inner Compass
- Video interview on The Steel Wave
- Interview on his father and No Less Than Victory at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library on February 4, 2010
- Appearances on C-SPAN