|District of Bihar|
Location of Jehanabad district in Bihar
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Jahanabad|
|• Total||1,569 km2 (606 sq mi)|
|• Density||720/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||68.27 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||918|
|Major highways||NH 83|
|Average annual precipitation||1074 mm|
Jehanabad district is one of the thirty-eight districts of Bihar state, India, and Jehanabad town is the administrative headquarters of this district. Jehanabad district is a part of Magadh Division. This district is 45 km from Patna, the capital of Bihar and 43 km from gaya.
Jehanabad is located on the confluence of two small rivers called Dardha and Yamunaiya. It is the heartland of Magadha and the local dialect is called Magahi. The district has been in the national news mostly for the news related to Naxalite violence. The area is however developing now and the services sector is gaining ground in the district.
The territory of the present-day district became Jehanabad sub-division of Gaya district in 1872. The district came into existence on 1 August 1986.
The famous Barabar Caves are located in the Jehanabad District. They are the oldest surviving rock-cut caves in India, mostly dating from the Mauryan period (322–185 BCE), and some with Ashokan inscriptions.
The region is rich for cultivating cereals and vegetables. There are two seasons, hot and dry.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Jehanabad one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 36 districts in Bihar currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The district comprises only one sub-division, Jehanbad, which is further divided into seven blocks: Jehanabad, Kako, ModanGANJ, Ghosi, Hulasganj, Makhdumpur, and Ratni Faridpur.
There are a lot of schools in jehanabad District, most of them are private high schools, which are popular across the city and provide better education, names are as follows, J.N.V.D.A.V. School, B.V.N., P.P.S., Manas Vidyalaya, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Swami vivekanand high school Tehta are some of the schools following C.B.S.E. syllabus for quite long time. Many new schools have come up in recent time. These schools are contributing in the development of academic culture in the district.The Gandhi Intermediate School earlier known as VT School and SS College Jehanabad is proof of as backbone of district education.
According to the 2011 census Jehanabad district has a population of 1,124,176, roughly equal to the nation of Cyprus or the US state of Rhode Island. This gives it a ranking of 412th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,206 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,120/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 21.34%. Jehanabad has a sex ratio of 918 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 78.27%.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Bihar: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1118–1119. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
Isla Ángel de la Guarda 931km2
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 5, 2012. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Cyprus 1,120,489 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Rhode Island 1,052,567
|Arwal district||Nalanda district|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jehanabad district.|